Menu

SAT prep

DD is going into 11th grade, and I'd like to do some SAT prep with her in the autumn for her to take the exam in the spring. I've seen mention of people giving a half-credit for an SAT prep 'course.' Any suggestions for an SAT prep curriculum?

• Like 1

My DD used KhanAcademy, which as mentioned is Free, for SAT preparation.  KhanAcademy has an official tie in with the CollegeBoard.  IMO you should not give any credit for SAT or ACT exam preparation.  I believe that's just a normal thing High School students need to do. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lanny said:

My DD used KhanAcademy, which as mentioned is Free, for SAT preparation.  KhanAcademy has an official tie in with the CollegeBoard.  IMO you should not give any credit for SAT or ACT exam preparation.  I believe that's just a normal thing High School students need to do. 

I agree. I would not give credit for prepping for these exams as I think it would look like you were padding the transcript.

The College Board has released 8 exams.  These would be great (and free) to use for test prep along with Kahn Academy.

Erika Metzler also has good test prep books for both the Reading and Writing sections of the SAT/ACT.

• Like 3

For what it's worth, DS17's high school offers a .5 credit semester long elective class for SAT Prep.  Description:  SAT Prep provides students with a review of language and mathematical concepts, opportunities to take practice SAT tests, develop problem solving paradigms, and learn some test taking techniques and strategies.  

• Like 1

OP:     if Kaplan had something like my DD has access to for the ACT (gifted to her) for the SAT, I would suggest that you take a look. However, they do not have that for the SAT. Probably because of the official tie in between the College Board and Khan Academy.  When I looked on Kaplan to see what they have for the SAT, I was blown away by the prices, but this link is something your DC can try for free:

https://www.kaptest.com/sat/free/20-minute-workout

The ACT Kaplan thing my DD was gifted has Online lessons (some live where the students can submit questions to the instructor) and Strategy stuff, which she likes a lot. She rates both of them a "7" (where 10 is perfect) but says the Kaplan paid thing she was gifted is "much better".

In addition to practice tests, online lessons and strategy suggestions may help your DC on the SAT.