Menu

Which Great Courses art lectures have you used?

If you've used any of these lecture sets, please share your thoughts about their appropriateness for use in an art appreciation course for a high school freshman.  Thanks for any input.  

How to Look at and Understand Great Art

Art Across the Ages

The World's Greatest Paintings

Museum Masterpieces: The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Museum Masterpieces: The Louvre

Following!

I’m interested in using other Great Courses for my rising 9th grader. Any suggestions?

This is my first post, but I’ve been a member since 2011. Not sure why it’s showing as “Just Visiting”.

Edited by AFI
Actually a member

AFI, I think back when you registered, people were labeled as "just visiting" for the first 50 posts.  Now they are labeled as "Hive Mind Larvae."  You can try to change your label by going into your profile and putting in something different.

I've been searching other posts about high school art appreciation, and it looks like How to Look at and Understand Great Art has a lot of positive comments.  I think I'll just start with that and see where it leads us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AFI said:

Following!

I’m interested in using other Great Courses for my rising 9th grader. Any suggestions?

This is my first post, but I’ve been a member since 2011. Not sure why it’s showing as “Just Visiting”.

The history of Ancient Egypt course is old (like it was created in the VHS days), but his enthusiasm is infectious, and a lot of fun.  (I didn't use it for a class, but I wish I had.)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, klmama said:

How to Look at and Understand Great Art

Dd#2 used it as part of an Art History semester credit this year (freshman). She also used Khan Academy and part of an art history book I have. (Can't remember the name or author, but will look if you want it.) The Great Course lectures didn't line up at all with what she was studying but we're meant to be an enjoyable break from the text & Khan.

DH watched some of them with her and enjoyed the commentary and analysis. I looked, but this is the only Great Course with this professor. We would have loved a second course from her.

• Like 1