Menu

soil testing 101?

mom@shiloh

Anyone here an expert on soil testing who can tell me what's wrong with my dirt?  ?  

We bought the soil test as a biology experiment, but I have a large garden and thought it would be fun to see what's actually going on out there.  My results make no logical sense to me.  I tested some soil where we have had sweet corn for the last two years, and we haven't added anything to the soil.  All the levels -- nitrogen, phosphorus, potash and Ph -- were great. I tested two other areas where we added well composted horse manure several weeks ago and have rototilled it in twice -- the levels of everything were non-existent.  Seriously?  That makes no sense. I tested three times just to be sure.  

Everything is growing well in the area where we added the horse manure, except the sweet corn; but I don't know if that's because the kids planted it too deep or the seed was faulty or if there's something wrong with the soil there.  

I second going to the extension office.

Ours has bags that you put samples in along with directions on how to take the samples.  We have a lab that we then ship them to.  I think a test cost $9.00 or something.  I remember that the postage to mail it off was more expensive than the analysis.