Menu

AoPS Geometry question

I'm looking for some advice from those who are familiar with the AoPS series.

Dd is finishing up Geometry this year.  We are a bit behind and one big reason is that dd has been wallowing in Chapter 17 (Analytic Geometry) for weeks now.  She is really struggling to grasp the concepts here.  Add a healthy dose of end-of-the-year distraction and I'm afraid it could be the end of us both.  Would it be a big mistake to cut our losses and move on?  Dd is on the final section with a great deal of hand-holding from me.  This is not a first time a chapter has required hand-holding but normally we would use other resources to solidify the difficult concepts, go back and rework the sections to solidify understanding, then once dd is comfortable, she does the chapter review questions.  Given that this often takes weeks and dd is about ready to burn this book, I am willing to consider moving on.  Is this a mistake?

I wouldn't skip 17.5, distance between a point and a line.  Chapter 18 covers trig, law of sines and law of cosines.  I would definitely cover those topics.  You can skip chapter 19.  

But if you are burned out, you can take a break now for a few weeks and revisit in the summer or just before fall begins.  HTH.  

Thanks all.  We do plan to finish the other chapters.  Dd has completed all of the sections in chapter 17 but I don't feel she has grasped them as well as I would normally require before moving on.  I don't think she will be able to do the review problems on her own unless we went back through each section using some other resources to help her grasp it better.  My choices are to either do that, finish the chapter review problems with me working each problem with her, or just move on to chapter 18.  I fear my normal approach to go back and solid the concepts will take a couple of weeks and I'm not sure it is worth it in this particular case.  And I'm not convinced that dd has grasped the concepts well enough that doing the review problems together will have much value.  Plus, I am pretty burned out myself!