Menu

Spanish curriculum for 3rd grade

I would start with Getting Started With Spanish and weekly viewing of Salsa! from Georgia Public Broadcasting.

That would probably take you through the year. After that it what you use will depend on your Spanish background (if any) and how much time and money you want to put into it. GSWS and Salsa! would be a great start, though.

My 3rd grader started learning Spanish in 1st grade with Song School Spanish. He really likes music so that was a great fit. Song School might be a bit too young-ish for a 3rd grader, though, but it was a lovely, gentle introduction to the language. Taught mostly vocabulary - no lessons on verb conjugations or anything like that.

When he finished that, he did The Fun Spanish which was right up his alley. He likes anything that makes him laugh and the silly sentences in The Fun Spanish were a hit. I liked that each lesson had a verb to conjugate and then vocabulary was introduced. Students translate simple sentences from English to Spanish and Spanish to English. Plus they draw a picture of the silly sentence --- which worked well for us because DS has some reading comprehension issues so I was able to check his reading comprehension along with the Spanish. So, all-in-all, it was an excellent fit for us.

He finished The Fun Spanish a few weeks ago and we've begun using All Bilingual Press' Espanol para Chicos Y Grandes (https://allbilingual.com/product/espanol-para-chicos-y-grandes/). I like that it uses cartoons to teach the week's lesson and that each lesson has a grammar/vocabulary component plus aural/oral practice. The lessons come with free audio tracks that go with each lesson so students can hear a native speaker. There's even a book of Spanish poems so you can hear the language in use. The only challenge is that the Spanish poems do NOT come with translations and it can be a bit cumbersome to try to figure out what the poems mean. So far, DS is enjoying this series.

In addition to all of the above, he also watches Salsa from Georgia Public Broadcasting. It's like Sesame Street but all in Spanish. ? The videos are only 15 minutes long and they provide a full transcript in both Spanish & English so you can figure out what all the puppets are saying. Very enjoyable!

I've looked at Getting Started With Spanish and my main concern with that book (for my kiddo - I know it works well for lots of folks) is that it's too dry. My kiddo works better with pictures (especially because of his reading comprehension issues) and there aren't any in GSWS.

Hope this helps!