Menu

Math curriculum help- something mastery based but with lots of review!

ziggyplaid

Looking to switch math curriculums for my rising 4th and 7th grader.  We have been using a spiral math (abeka and horizons.) They just aren’t thriving at it.  They need something more mastery based but something that also has enough built in review.  We have tried Singapore and math u see in the past and had issues with not enough review. also have done Saxon (which is spiral) but it was so dry and boring to them. Would love any ideas,  thanks!

For the 4th grader math Mammoth now has a spiral review that you can add on to the mastery program. They only have it for up to the 4th grade level right now though and I would think it be too hard to enter at the last level. CLE is not mastery based but I have found with my one child it did better introducing the concept then Saxon that she is able to master concepts from it.

• Like 1

We really like BJU math.  It is mastery based, with a chapter review and cumulative review at the end of every chapter.  For extra review, there are also review books and test booklets.  The TG also has a CD with extra practice sheets that you can print out.  We've used the K-5 levels and now using Fundamentals (gr.7).  

Math Mammoth has mixed review every chapter and you can add a cumulative review as well. I really love this math. Right start is a little of both—I’ve heard it called spiral with a mastery approach and mastery with a spiral approach, but it’s somewhere in the middle in my opinion. I have a student in both programs.

• Like 1

The way we have solved this problem is by using a mastery based curriculum (MIF) along with the Evan-Moor Daily Practice Books. The Daily Practice Books have 5 review problems to do each day. We added the Daily Practice in 4th grade and my dd's standardized test scores increased from the 75th percentile to the 95th percentile. We also buy the Skill Builder books (which are cuter and more colorful) and they get to do those instead of Daily Practice on Fridays.