Menu

20th Century History Books (or Lack thereof)

I love history.  I love for my kids to know and understand what the different forms of government are around the world.  I like them to see how other people live.  I want them to understand wars, governments, people, culture, etc.. That being said-- Where the heck are all the history books about the 20th century?  There are some (plenty on the Holocaust, WWII, Segregation-- thank goodness) but some topics are almost non-existent.  Anyone have any more luck?  I have found the following, but I would love more ideas!!! 

The Wall: Growing up Behind the Iron Curtain, Mao Zedong- The Rebel Who Led a Revolution (National Geographic), Breaking Stalin's Nose, Red Scarf Girl, I Am Malala, A Long Walk to Water, I Am David

12 hours ago, lmrich said:

What age? 

I found it hard to find books that were not overwhelming American-centered. 

I have 2 younger girls--9 and 11 and then 2 older-- almost 14 and 16.  So, I am looking for a range.  I agree that many books are American centered.  I would like to hear from voices all over.  I am particularly interested in the Middle East, Asia (China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and Cambodia.), and the former USSR.  I like first hand or historical fiction accounts-- straight history book is a little boring for kids.  There is nothing about Cambodia and Pol Pot for children-- I guess because it was genocide.  There is so much about the Jewish genocide (Holocaust) in WWII though, so the subject can be breached for younger children.   

This is a fantastic book about growing up in the USSR: The Wall: Growing Up Behind The Iron Curtain.

While they are based in America, you might look for books about refugees from Cambodia.  I read one in high school called Children Of The River about a girl trying to maintain her Cambodian heritage while learning how to be an American.  I know there are several refugee stories at various levels from people all over the world.  Also, a lot of our rabbit trails have occurred when we looked at books that offered a different perspective.  Lions of Little Rock was a good one.  It takes place the year after integration at Central High.  People think that's the story and all was on the up and up.  But parents pulled their children, the teachers went on strike, private schools (and tele-schools) were formed...the story wasn't over.  It wasn't done.  We went from there, to...White Lilacs..I think it was called, about the razing of Freedomtown because the white citizens of the town took the land by an eminent domain vote and kicked the African American community out.  These were perspectives and events that are not popularly shown in children's literature, but it opened our eyes and had us wondering what happened next.  Did similar things happen elsewhere?  How do these events shape lives even now?  What policies were enacted as results of or to aid such practices?  The same thing with WWII.  We read the usual, then read A Faraway Island, where some of the children chose to stay and be part of their host families forever when the war ended.  They had become part of a new nationality.