Menu

SOTW vol 1 for 6th

Amp

I’ve tried searching but I’m not finding what I need.  We have not done a full history cycle and I want to keep history simple next year and read as a family. I’ll have a 6th, 3rd and 1st grader school age. I already own SOTW vol 1-4 (we haven’t used it much). If you have used SOTW vol 1 with an older grade, What did you add to make it more challenging? Thank you. 

We've used it.  I added in Mysteries In History (meant for a classroom, but doable at home), outlining, novels from Sonlight-like lists (Golden Goblet, Mara Daughter of The Nile, The Children's Odyssey, etc)...we attempted History Odyssey but found we liked the books, not the format.  If I were doing it over again on a budget I'd get the novels from the library and do the outlining along with Reading Like A Historian for a few of the lessons to teach how to look at information.

• Thanks 1

So, my 6th grader didn't actually join us for homeschooling after our trial month (which didn't include SOTW), so I didn't actually use these resources, but I considered supplementing with the free resources at http://www.marionbrady.com/WorldHistory.as as they corresponded pretty well to SOTW (but I was worried that they might be too hard.   They were designed for classroom use in middle and high school, but one teacher said she used them in 6th, and I thought they could be used in homeschool easily, just changing discussion as a class to discussion with me. 

I also would have used the "Science of Ancient Egypt" units at Dr. Dave's Science (I used part of the mummies one for my younger son, then age 7 or 8, and would have used a lot more of these for my 6th grader because they are meant for that age).  https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Dr-Daves-Science/Category/Science-of-Ancient-Egypt-188989

And, though I didn't know about it at the time, if I had I would have done Science of the Ancient World for our science that year.  I considered it but it seemed like it was a little too advanced for my younger kiddo, but would have been perfect for a 6th grader I think.  https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product/science-in-the-ancient-world/

I also planned to have him read related historical fictions, but was only just collecting a list.

For our Viking Unit (done in our trial month cause my littlest really wanted to learn about them, and I didn't want to have to wait a year), we supplemented with Experimenting With the Vikings which was an AMAZING and perfect for that age (and 7th too...which is where you'll be when you get to Vikings):  http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00001940/experiment-with-the-vikings?cmpid=CMP00006331 

• Thanks 1

I didn't use volume 1 with my middle-schooler, but after not loving the encyclopedia spine option, I went to SOTW volume 3 for my 7th grader. I bought the PDF download of the narration questions in print, which he filled out on his own. I had him outline the corresponding pages in DK History of the World, and then he had a literature book that was at his level that corresponded to the period (book list in The Well Trained Mind). He did the map activity. I had him create a timeline notecard for each chapter with an illustration he found on the internet. I had him take the test. 

I haven't used the grades 1-2 tests, but I looked at a friend's and I think they are super easy (geared towards early elementary). So you might want to take a look at the volume 3-4 tests and use that format as a model to create your own or add on.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kesmom said:

The logic stage history chapter of TWTM explains how to expand SOTW for that age.

Which volume do you have? I have volume 3 and I haven't been able to find anything that explains using SOTW in the middle years.

The activity guide I think has a page in the front about adapting SOTW for older students. I think it even lists the corresponding pages from two encyclopedias for each chapter. (I used the My Father's World adaptation of DK History of the World so unfortunately the AG was not of use to me in that regard). 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JHLWTM said:

Which volume do you have? I have volume 3 and I haven't been able to find anything that explains using SOTW in the middle years.

I have the 3rd edition and still had that section bookmarked, starting on page 278.

We take a more simplified approach compared to what is in the book, but we do SOTW (plus maps and review questions) as a family and then my middle schooler does research, outlining and writing later in the week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2018 at 10:38 AM, goldenecho said:

So, my 6th grader didn't actually join us for homeschooling after our trial month (which didn't include SOTW), so I didn't actually use these resources, but I considered supplementing with the free resources at http://www.marionbrady.com/WorldHistory.as as they corresponded pretty well to SOTW (but I was worried that they might be too hard.   They were designed for classroom use in middle and high school, but one teacher said she used them in 6th, and I thought they could be used in homeschool easily, just changing discussion as a class to discussion with me. 

I also would have used the "Science of Ancient Egypt" units at Dr. Dave's Science (I used part of the mummies one for my younger son, then age 7 or 8, and would have used a lot more of these for my 6th grader because they are meant for that age).  https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Dr-Daves-Science/Category/Science-of-Ancient-Egypt-188989

And, though I didn't know about it at the time, if I had I would have done Science of the Ancient World for our science that year.  I considered it but it seemed like it was a little too advanced for my younger kiddo, but would have been perfect for a 6th grader I think.  https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product/science-in-the-ancient-world/

I also planned to have him read related historical fictions, but was only just collecting a list.

For our Viking Unit (done in our trial month cause my littlest really wanted to learn about them, and I didn't want to have to wait a year), we supplemented with Experimenting With the Vikings which was an AMAZING and perfect for that age (and 7th too...which is where you'll be when you get to Vikings):  http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00001940/experiment-with-the-vikings?cmpid=CMP00006331 

Thank you. I will definitely check these resources out. 

10 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I used SOTW 1 &2 with dd for 7th grade with Sonlight Core G (and then 3&4 with Core H the next year). I credit those two years (7&*8) for developing dd's love of history. I know some say SOTW is too elementary for middle school kids, but I disagree. (Several of my friends and I also read it and got a lot out of it after dd told us how great it was!) 

I'd look at the Sonlight readers for that year and see what you might want to add it. Dd had no trouble going from those in 7/8th grade into the HotAW, the Iliad, Boetheus etc. in 9th and beyond. Personally, I think getting them interested and engaged is more important than difficulty level at that age. 

Thank you. This makes me feel better about using it with my middle schooler.