Menu

Does SSL include reading pronunciation?

Sarah0000

Sorry for all the questions this week. I'm trying to finalize my order for my charter school...

My DS, who will be first grade next year, has requested to learn some Latin so he can pronounce the Latin words in MCT Building Language. He is fascinated by the comparisons between similar English, Spanish, and Latin words. Does Song School Latin cover pronunciation while reading? Not just audio of specific vocabulary but the sounds the letters, dipthongs, digraphs, etc make? It wouldn't have to be super detailed, just enough so we could make a reasonable pronunciation of unknown words. We've done Song School Spanish but I don't remember if that was covered. I taught him to read Spanish myself.

Secondly, would there be a better program to consider for this purpose that I could do alongside SSL? Or perhaps something short and sweet for me? Does Minimus include a written pronunciation guide for words?

For SSL, there is a pronunciation guide in the front on the book. If you are asking if throughout the book, there is pronunciation next to vocab, then no. There are audio files for the pronunciation of the vocabulary that you can download that are chapter by chapter. 

No. It's rather a chore to figure out because you need to look it up, or you have to listen to the song to hear it correctly pronounced, and then remember it (I usually make some notations in the book next to the words at the beginning of the chapter.)

My DS is loving SSL. If you get the DVD the lessons are really fun and even DD likes to watch. Each lesson is usually a subject, like family or animals.  It has a great little section on derivatives which talks about the words in English, French, Spanish and Latin. I find that fascinating and helps me remember the words, like pessime/pessimistic and optime/optimistic. It helps DS too but he’s not as interested so if you’re child already likes it then it would be a great fit. The CD gives you the option of classical or ecclesiastical pronunciation. I used charter funds too and Rainbow had the best price for the whole set. I ordered SSL2 because it’s been such a hit here.