Menu

Cosmeo.com vs. United Streaming/Education

freethinkermom

With all of the United education/Streaming questions lately, I though I would ask....

Why choose United Education over Cosmeo.com?

We have a Cosmeo account now. Before that we had United Streaming and switched when the new service became available.

It seems like all or most of the same videos you would get in a basic United Education subscription are available in Cosmeo, plus you get all of Cosmeo's games and Nutshell Math for $9.95/month or $99/year. I believe that is a lot less than United Education is now.

When Cosmeo first became available we talked to cust. service and they said that the intention was for cosmeo.com to be for individuals (including homeschoolers) and US/UE to be for institutions.

I have found cosmeo to be a better fit for us. Not only are there tons of videos on just about every subject, but the kids love to play the games and explore. The only part of United Streaming that I miss is the printable teacher materials, but the Cosmeo games and Nutshell Math more than make up for it.

Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing this!! 99 bucks is AWESOME! I love the sample clips that I saw in regards to the animal habitats with Jeff Corwin! Someone should mention to United Streaming about Cosmeo and maybe they would lower their prices to get customers. There is no way I will spend 265 bucks when I can spend 99.

Thanks again,

Barb

Cosmeo is actually BY United Streaming and its content is a subset of United Streaming's content. Cosmeo is designed to be a homework helper for students, while United Streaming is intended for both teachers and students ~ teachers are supposed to be able to use the content to supplement classes. Cosmeo's library only has elementary titles, whereas united streaming also has post-secondary titles (they have almost twice as many video segments) plus lesson plans, student activities, quizzes, etc. I guess which one you shoud get depends on what exactly you want from it!

Cosmeo and United Streaming both have 9-12. Post-secondary means "after high-school" ~ like college, voc tech, etc. But... when I log into my United Streaming account and look at the video selection "by grade" it only goes to grade 12, so it at least appears that the don't have post secondary titles... :confused: Hmmm....

I actually got part of my answer above from an e-mail I received and saved from Cosmeo awhile ago when I was wondering which one to buy... so it could be old info ~ but that is what they told me at the time. Here is the whole thing, if that helps at all:

Cosmeo and unitedstreamingâ„¢ are very similar in that they do offer video segments and images for presentations or reports. Cosmeo is designed as a homework helper for students. unitedstreamingâ„¢ is not a homework helper, but rather digital educational programming. unitedstreamingâ„¢ is intended for both teachers and students. Teachers can use unitedstreamingâ„¢ to plan and supplement their classes. Cosmeo's library only consists of elementary titles, which also includes 30,000 video segments, whereas unitedstreamingâ„¢ consists of elementary and post secondary titles, including 50,000 video segments, lesson plans, student activities, quizzes and more.