Menu

Number bonds and Addition facts the same thing?

lulalu

We started Singapore US 1a a few weeks ago. I am not seeing a difference in number bonds and addition facts. How are these different to learn? 

The HIG says to stay on number bonds until they are mastered, but isn't that mastering addition facts? 

We have used Miquon Orange and 1/4 of red. If I put a rod out my ds can find all the rods that make number bonds. Is this enough or should he be able to say them without the rods before moving on? 

He just turned 6 btw. 

Number bonds work well here. I always had the kids work on knowing the number bonds to make 10 before moving on just because making 10 is a pretty critical skill and notw knowing what makes 10 can bring things to a screeching halt later.The rest they pick up with games and additional practice along the way.

Conceptually, imo, calling them number bonds and the related terminology (whole/part) is an advantage down the road. Ds is in Pre-A right now and that whole/part concept is pretty key to visualizing equations and working with percents. Addition facts, imo, don’t really convey the same thing.

• Like 3

Meh.  I don't necessarily use the number bond terminology, but my older kids fully know their stuff when it comes to percents and fractions. I think as long as the child understands the putting together and the reciprocity in taking apart, you're good. 

And we move forward when they've memorized to ten. 

• Like 1

As I understand it, number bonds is addition facts with the associated subtraction facts and the understanding that they're all connected. Some kids somehow get it into their head that 6+4 = 10 and 4+6 = 10 and 10-4 = 6 and 10-6 = 4 are all different facts, discrete and contained and totally separated from each other. This misunderstanding can hamper them elsewhere. It's better to spend a little more time making sure they understand the concept than to just move on once they've memorized sufficient facts.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

As I understand it, number bonds is addition facts with the associated subtraction facts and the understanding that they're all connected. Some kids somehow get it into their head that 6+4 = 10 and 4+6 = 10 and 10-4 = 6 and 10-6 = 4 are all different facts, discrete and contained and totally separated from each other. This misunderstanding can hamper them elsewhere. It's better to spend a little more time making sure they understand the concept than to just move on once they've memorized sufficient facts.

Yes, number bonds are worth emphasizing because they teach the part:whole relationship of numbers. This prepares them for algebraic thinking and the concept of ratios, etc.

They are addition and subtraction facts rolled into one. Each fact family has 3 numbers, like 2, 5, and 7. To me, they are the heart and soul of Singapore math because they open the door for flexible number manipulation, bar modeling, and the visual representation of algebraic equations. 

Miquon doesn’t call them number bonds, but it encourages the same part:whole relationship as Singapore. If your son can compute and describe

4 + ? = 7 

? - 6 = 4

then he understands number bonds. Miquon Red provides lots of those type of problems. It’s fine to move on. In 1A, the number bond notation is introduced and it should be easy to transfer what he has learned in Miquon to this new notation. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Thanks that helps me understand the point. 

He understands the concept just can't call the number bonds out. So I think we will work a while on these. 

Triangle flashcards show these "number bonds" as "fact families", and reduces the amount of flashcards by 3/4, as 4 "math facts" are contained on one triangle card. For example, the triangle flashcard with the "fact family" of 3,4,7 (with each number on one point of the triangle flashcard) is the facts of: 3+4=7, 4+3=7, 7-4=3, 7-3=4. Using this type of flashcard/math fact drill might help DS visualize the Singapore "number bonds", while drilling as "math facts". Just a thought! Here's a free downloadable/printable version of triangle addition/subtraction fact families, that also has some teaching tips.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Triangle flashcards show these "number bonds" as "fact families", and reduces the amount of flashcards by 3/4, as 4 "math facts" are contained on one triangle card. For example, the triangle flashcard with the "fact family" of 3,4,7 (with each number on one point of the triangle flashcard) is the facts of: 3+4=7, 4+3=7, 7-4=3, 7-3=4. Using this type of flashcard/math fact drill might help DS visualize the Singapore "number bonds", while drilling as "math facts". Just a thought! Here's a free downloadable/printable version of triangle addition/subtraction fact families, that also has some teaching tips.

My mom made and used those triangle flashcards when homeschooling me in the 80s.  You just cover one corner for the first round and another corner the next round.  She made a set for multiplication and division, too.