Menu

Neurology update

Night Elf

I had my appointment with a neurologist about the TIA, Transient Ischemic Attack. She did all those tests like balancing, pointing fingers, feeling sticks, etc. and said all of that was perfect. However, with the way I described the incident and the fact that I've been having anxiety attacks with chest tightness and shortness of breath, she wants me to do an echocardiogam. If that turns out fine, we'll drop it and I'll only go back if I have further problems. If the echo is abnormal in any way, I have to do a 30-day heart monitor. That's going to be a nuisance so I'm hoping it won't get that far. I'm certain what I'm feeling is anxiety. I've had those symptoms for years. Also, my bipolar episodes can sometimes be similar. 

She also cleared me for my colonoscopy. Oh joy.

• Like 2

tia's are my biggest health fear.    (my only-child mom, my grandmother,  many of my grandmother's siblings . . . . )

have you ever been tested for mthf?  1298 has been linked to tias (i'm homozygous for 1298, and hetero  for most of the other methylation genes. ).  thorne mthf works better than deplin (the rx.).  and amazon has it on S&S - which is the cheapest way to buy it.  it's just a very specific form of folate - so it won't hurt you if you don't need it.   I'm up to 10mg a day,  and slowly working to increase my dose.  it's one of the things I'm really hoping help prevent them for me.  - and stay away from folic acid.  (it's synthetic.)

for the other - I would also check out optimal thyorid and adrenal function.  I was having stuff like that, do the heart rate monitor etc. - oh, you're fine.   it was adrenal, and lack of potassium.  but that dr was no help there.

22 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

tia's are my biggest health fear.    (my only-child mom, my grandmother,  many of my grandmother's siblings . . . . )

have you ever been tested for mthf?  1298 has been linked to tias (i'm homozygous for 1298, and hetero  for most of the other methylation genes. ).  thorne mthf works better than deplin (the rx.).  and amazon has it on S&S - which is the cheapest way to buy it.  it's just a very specific form of folate - so it won't hurt you if you don't need it.   I'm up to 10mg a day,  and slowly working to increase my dose.  it's one of the things I'm really hoping help prevent them for me.  - and stay away from folic acid.  (it's synthetic.)

for the other - I would also check out optimal thyorid and adrenal function.  I was having stuff like that, do the heart rate monitor etc. - oh, you're fine.   it was adrenal, and lack of potassium.  but that dr was no help there.

For now, is it safe for her to take the Thorne 1 mg capsule, without any kind of diagnosis? One review said it eliminated her DH's panic attacks. Can it help with fatigue?

4 hours ago, Night Elf said:

For now, is it safe for her to take the Thorne 1 mg capsule, without any kind of diagnosis? One review said it eliminated her DH's panic attacks. Can it help with fatigue?

yes, it's absolutely safe.  it's "just" a very specific type of folate. (one of the b-vitamins) what she doens't use, her body will just get rid of as they are water soluable.  thorne has the 1mg on Subscribe and save - which is nice.   (I wish they did the 15mg for my son who won't get his dr to write a rx.)

whether it helps with fatigue depends upon the cause.   I've had times when it really helped - and times it didn't.

what it does specifically is aimed at the methylation process that is controlled by those genes. e.g. - utilizing nutrients by the body - and excreting waste.  it can help get it working again.

from the genome project, about 50% of the population has at least one defective gene.