Menu

Please help me find the thread on stuff you should bring to college

lewelma

Hi guys,

I thought I bookmarked the thread, but I didn't.  In the thread was some lovely lists for a shoe box full of drug store supplies, and a shoe box for odd items you might need like a screwdriver and string.  There was also ideas as to what not to bring. Can someone link me to it?

Thanks!

Ruth in NZ

• Like 1

Here's a recent one: "Packing for college dorm/apt. life"

Here are ones linked in post #5 of the big pinned thread ("Transcripts...First Time at College... past threads linked here!")  at the top of the high school board: 

Before sending a student off to college (to do list)

Gwen's complete college supply list
Freshman move-in day

Small dorm storage -- share advice or past mistakes 

Keeping things in a dorm room

Locking trunk?

• Like 3

I'm the one with the "go-to" boxes.  I couldn't send you a pm, so here is that part of my list below:

Go To Box - Medical Box (used a plastic tote with a lid and handle):

anything specific for the student's medical needs
sunscreen
bug spray
bandaids/triple antibiotic
tums
bug bite gel
spare toothbrush
acne cream
benadryl
tylenol
ibuprofen
naproxen sodium
sudafed
cough suppressant
allergy eye drops
mucinex
cough drops
thermometer
Q-tips (need a container or just a ziploc to put some in)
kleenex
lip balm
immodium
athlete's foot spray
reusable heat/cold pack
Cortisone creme
antiseptic

Go To Box - Other box:

sewing kit
safety pins
screwdriver - actually received a toolkit/tools for graduation and took that
duct tape
zip ties
sharpie marker
head lamp
hand crank flashlight / USB charger
ear plugs
spare lightbulbs for desk lamp
batteries (I included a list of everything he was taking that required batteries, and what kinds they needed)
notes cards and stamps
solar-powered radio

N.B. Go to boxes went on top shelf of bookcase in the room as they didn't need to be accessed every day.

• Like 7

We used Hoggirl's list for the self-care box and were able to buy all the needed items at a Target store.

I was a huge fan of using the option of pre-registering at Bed Bath and Beyond and having everything ready to pick up when we came to town for move in day.  I don't know how this works if you're not physically able to go to a store to pick stuff out.  If you or your son will be in the US earlier in the summer, u think this could be helpful. 

I liked that we didn't have to try to bring all that stuff in our luggage. He liked the fact that he wasn't having to make decisions about bedding on move in day.  The staff at the pick up store was very knowledgeable.  She was able to point out items we'd picked that wouldn't work in the local dorms or were not allowed. She also caught that we didn't have a surge protector/ extension cord. 

Because my kids go to school so far from home, they use a campus storage service over the summer.

• Like 1

Thanks so much guys!  DS is currently with Grandma shopping!  Yesterday, he actually made it off the plane, through Dallas customs,  to a different terminal, and through security in 35 minutes!  He sprinted the entire way because he overseas flight was so late!!! He made it with 7 minutes until the gate was closing, and this was after already flying 4 hours to Sydney and 15 hours to the USA!  89 year old Grandma picked him up. :-)

Campus Preview Weekend starts on Thursday. 600 activities, including a student-made rollercoaster.  :-) 

• Like 10