Menu

New book enthusiasm or need something different?

Janeway

I already bought my daughter’s math book. She is in kindergarten, but I bought Singapore Math 1A. Well, she has been so excited that she grabs the workbook right away and starts trying to do it. She doesn’t want to stop to play math games or even get any sort of instruction. Is this a sign she needs a more workbooky program? Or is this just new book excitement and it will tone down?  Edited to add that I bought it four days ago. Edited to add: maybe just add something like miquon to it.

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

I already bought my daughter’s math book. She is in kindergarten, but I bought Singapore Math 1A. Well, she has been so excited that she grabs the workbook right away and starts trying to do it. She doesn’t want to stop to play math games or even get any sort of instruction. Is this a sign she needs a more workbooky program? Or is this just new book excitement and it will tone down?  Edited to add that I bought it four days ago. Edited to add: maybe just add something like miquon to it.

No, it's just new book excitement.

She's five. There's no need to add anything to anything. :-)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Give it at least half a year before deciding to change approach.  DS8 goes through cycles still of preferring more written work to more game play (right now his math is drawing with angles so he's all about that and not caring about the games) and then will want a brain break of just playing math for a while. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fralala said:

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of concern Julie Bogart is referring to when she talks about throwing the homeschool hand grenade.

(If this is the daughter who just came out of a bad experience w/ public school somewhat unwillingly, you get bonus points. Yay!)

Bless Julie Bogart's heart. She may have just talked me down from a ledge. 

• Like 2