Menu

Dr. Hive: are we contagious?

EMS83

I don't know when to return to our regular activities or see the grandparents (one of whom is caretaker for a great-grandparent).

DD has recurrent strep, which I didn't take her to the clinic to check out until a week ago (3/30).  Youngest had a constant runny nose for almost two weeks, so I wanted that checked out.  I had them go ahead and just make sure me and middle were fine, lol.  He had ear pain, and I've felt like I had sinus pressure for months.  We were both fine, though.  Until Sunday, when both middle and I got sore throats, and started to feel weird and "floaty," as well as beginning to cough and have nasal symptoms.  I'd say cold, but Monday he spent half the day vomiting and complaining of nausea.  By Friday the sore throat was gone for me (still lingering a little for him), but the cough and nasal stuff persists, with some upper respiratory congestion as well.  No fevers.  DH got it a day or two after we did, but DD and youngest are fine.

So am I right that this is a virus, and not just a cold?  And the internet says we're contagious for 5-14 days (depending on age?).  ???  There was stuff starting tonight that we really wanted/needed to be at (would be day 6 1/2).  It was a bad week to be sick.  What says the Hive?  

Just to clarify, you were all tested for strep, but only your dd had it?

It sounds like you’re on the back end of the virus. Coughs can linger for weeks after a virus. How bad are the nasal symptoms? Is the drainage clear or cloudy? Color? 

Usually the contagious clock starts counting from incubation, which is generally 3-5 days before symptoms. You are probably not contagious but I would make sure that your nasal discharge is clear. Avoid the grandparents till the end of the week if possible. 

Colds are viruses, btw.