Menu

Anyone competed in a triathlon before?

PeachyDoodle

Make sure you train in all kinds of weather. The triathlon I did was in August, which is typically VERY dry here in the northwest. On race day it poured buckets and I was scared when I had to ride my bike in a huge group on wet streets that I (or someone else) was going to slide and crash. 

Also, make sure you do plenty of bricks  - trainings where you do 2 out of the 3 events in sequence.

Good luck and have fun!

• Thanks 1

Good to know! Mine is in August too -- also typically very dry here. But a thunderstorm wouldn't be unheard-of. Hopefully not early in the morning, though.

The transitions make me nervous. Especially biking while I'm still wet from the swim. Well, the biking makes me nervous, period. I've never done any road biking. Fortunately it's a completely closed course. That's the reason I picked this race -- that, and it's a super-sprint, so much shorter than a typical tri.

Yes! It's SO FUN! Really! You feel like you've finished 3 times, and it's only one race!

What distance are you thinking of? I've done sprint tris, but I would loooove to try a half iron-man sometime.

I would say focus on the bike to run transition - that's hard on the legs. But also, give yourself permission to just enjoy the race and walk a bit if you need to!

Interesting on the bike-run transition. I have read that elsewhere too, and I would not have guessed it. At least that part will be easier for me to practice than going from the pool to the bike will be.

This one has a 225M swim -- 8 mi bike -- 2 mi run. To be perfectly honest, I have no clue if this is within my capabilities. I have never done much swimming, or biking outside of spin class. I can run two miles, but VERY slowly. I actually go faster if I do a run/walk. 

But I am going to train. I have four months, and I think my bestie is going to do it with me. Should I incorporate any weight lifting, or focus on building stamina?

Ultimately my goal is to have fun and finish. I am not too proud to walk, and I have no illusions about winning any prizes. I just want to be able to say I did it. :D

• Like 1

I've done a few but not for a number of years.  The hardest part are the transitions!  You can start really small - bike 3 miles, walk 1/2 mile.  Swim 10 lengths, bike 3 miles, a go up.  Practice those transitions at least once or twice a week.  

The length of that sounds really managable for a first tri!  And you know what, you walk those last bits, who cares?  You're still ahead of all the slackers laying at home on their couch.  ;)  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I have done several sprints. They were a blast! You can do this, especially if you can do all three distances individually. Putting them together is not too hard in a sprint.

You may feel very drained after the swim, but your energy will come back on the bike, so don't worry.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transitions, especially since you are probably not going to win (sorry to say). Just make sure you practice each transition a few times so you notice what to do/bring. You are not going to have a 30 second transition like the pros. More like 3-8 minute transitions.  

Practice biking in a wet outfit to see if you have any chaffing problems. Don't use any untested equipment, nutrition, or clothing on race day. Wear what you practiced in, so you feel comfortable and at ease. It's not a fashion show; you'll see all kinds of interesting outfits. Wear what works for you.

You will really have fun! Trust me. You have plenty of time to put in a great fitness base for a sprint. Try to do each sport a minimum of twice a week, if possible, and try to do a brick workout once a week. You could add weights once or twice a week to build some strength and confidence, but if time is limited, just stick to the three sports.

Have fun!

Wow! I just noticed that I'm a newbie and my user name is gone. Off to figure out how to get my account back...

Edited by jmatiska
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jmatiska said:

I have done several sprints. They were a blast! You can do this, especially if you can do all three distances individually. Putting them together is not too hard in a sprint.

You may feel very drained after the swim, but your energy will come back on the bike, so don't worry.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transitions, especially since you are probably not going to win (sorry to say). Just make sure you practice each transition a few times so you notice what to do/bring. You are not going to have a 30 second transition like the pros. More like 3-8 minute transitions.  

Practice biking in a wet outfit to see if you have any chaffing problems. Don't use any untested equipment, nutrition, or clothing on race day. Wear what you practiced in, so you feel comfortable and at ease. It's not a fashion show; you'll see all kinds of interesting outfits. Wear what works for you.

You will really have fun! Trust me. You have plenty of time to put in a great fitness base for a sprint. Try to do each sport a minimum of twice a week, if possible, and try to do a brick workout once a week. You could add weights once or twice a week to build some strength and confidence, but if time is limited, just stick to the three sports.

Have fun!

Wow! I just noticed that I'm a newbie and my user name is gone. Off to figure out how to get my account back...

Great advice here!

4 hours ago, jmatiska said:

Have fun!

Thanks for all the pointers! I'm DEFINITELY not going to win -- no illusions there! Although I did see that I have to enter the category for the age I will be on December 31, which just happens to be my birthday, so I will be the youngest possible person in my group, lol! :D

Any advice on gear? I don't want to invest in a wetsuit, since that's not something I can see myself using again (plus: spendy!!). I was planning to get a decent racing swimsuit and pull on a pair of shorts and maybe a tank after the swim. BUT, I need a little extra support up top when I'm running, IYKWIM. I'm not sure a swimsuit will cut it. Any suggestions? I guess I could swim in my sports bra.

5 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Thanks for all the pointers! I'm DEFINITELY not going to win -- no illusions there! Although I did see that I have to enter the category for the age I will be on December 31, which just happens to be my birthday, so I will be the youngest possible person in my group, lol! :D

Any advice on gear? I don't want to invest in a wetsuit, since that's not something I can see myself using again (plus: spendy!!). I was planning to get a decent racing swimsuit and pull on a pair of shorts and maybe a tank after the swim. BUT, I need a little extra support up top when I'm running, IYKWIM. I'm not sure a swimsuit will cut it. Any suggestions? I guess I could swim in my sports bra.

Don't get a wetsuit unless you're in cold open-water and it's a long swim. 

I swam in my sports bra with tight tank top, then I put on a t-shirt over this after the swim, but many women just biked and ran in their swim gear. On the bottom, I wore lycra/spandex shorts for the swim, and put another pair of shorts over the lycra after the swim. Don't spend too much money on extra outfits. Get underwear that looks like a swimsuit (black or colorful sports bra, matching lycra/spandex boxer underwear, then put your regular bike/run clothes over the top after the swim. No one will know or care that you're swimming in your underwear. It looks like an expensive tri suit.   

I didn't use a full swim suit, because if you have to use the restroom, you basically have to undress. That's why I like top and bottom layers.

You'll have fun!

7 hours ago, jmatiska said:

Don't get a wetsuit unless you're in cold open-water and it's a long swim. 

I swam in my sports bra with tight tank top, then I put on a t-shirt over this after the swim, but many women just biked and ran in their swim gear. On the bottom, I wore lycra/spandex shorts for the swim, and put another pair of shorts over the lycra after the swim. Don't spend too much money on extra outfits. Get underwear that looks like a swimsuit (black or colorful sports bra, matching lycra/spandex boxer underwear, then put your regular bike/run clothes over the top after the swim. No one will know or care that you're swimming in your underwear. It looks like an expensive tri suit.   

I didn't use a full swim suit, because if you have to use the restroom, you basically have to undress. That's why I like top and bottom layers.

You'll have fun!

GREAT ideas! I have some pieces already that I think I can use like this. Thank you so much!