Menu

Art of Problem Solving Online Classes Question

It is a full class, albeit at a blistering pace. Regularly covers 1 to 1 1/2 chapters per week, depending on the class. Some public schoolers use it as extra on top of the classes they are taking at school, but usually as a way to work at their own level while their school classes lag behind.

• Like 1

These online classes teach the materials in the textbooks. DS has taken Geometry, and Intermediate Algebra, and is taking Precalc as full year courses. For these courses,the students are expected to read the assigned chapters/sections in the textbook and work out the relevant problems in textbook as preparation for the live classes.  Each week, the students have additional challenge problems to work through (computer graded) as well as a writing problem (comments given in addition to grade given),  You can email them and request the instructor to evaluate and grade your student towards the end of the course.

DS tells me that many of his classmates attend brick-and-mortar schools, and are taking these classes as enrichment, or because they want to study ahead of the sequence that their schools will allow, or because they love math, and or are into math competitions.

• Like 2

These online classes teach the materials in the textbooks. DS has taken Geometry, and Intermediate Algebra, and is taking Precalc as full year courses. For these courses,the students are expected to read the assigned chapters/sections in the textbook and work out the relevant problems in textbook as preparation for the live classes.  Each week, the students have additional challenge problems to work through (computer graded) as well as a writing problem (comments given in addition to grade given),  You can email them and request the instructor to evaluate and grade your student towards the end of the course.

DS tells me that many of his classmates attend brick-and-mortar schools, and are taking these classes as enrichment, or because they want to study ahead of the sequence that their schools will allow, or because they love math, and or are into math competitions.

Do you mean that you are giving credit for the course as a full year course or that he is taking a class that is stretched over 30 weeks or more?

I only saw a 22 week stretch class... that is why I am asking!

Thank you so much (everyone) for this info!

-Rebecca

I see what you are asking now.

The geometry, intermediate alg, Pre-calc, and Calc courses are full year courses even though the classes are completed in 20-something weeks. The pace is fast, and they are more "compressed" than if one were to plan it out to do on ones own in 30-something weeks. Other folks on the forum will assign one high school credit for these courses, so I followed suit.

I think for Introduction to Algebra, it's a bit different, since the entire book covers more than one typical high school Algebra I course, and maybe a bit less than a typical Algebra II course. But I cannot comment on it, since we did it on our own, and I just counted it as one credit for DS. (I just got lazy didn't want to spend the brain work to think through it.)

So maybe someone else can explain it better, if you are interested in how to assign credits for the Introduction to Algebra A and B courses.

• Like 1

Do you mean that you are giving credit for the course as a full year course or that he is taking a class that is stretched over 30 weeks or more?

I only saw a 22 week stretch class... that is why I am asking!

The classes cover more content than a typical high school course for the same subject.

In math, you give credit for covering the content, not for time spent. Whether it takes the student 52 weeks or 20 weeks to cover the standard canon is irrelevant.

In fact, one can argue that the AoPS courses should receive more credit, since more material is covered in more depth.

• Like 1