Menu

Fix-It question

librarymama

My son says he loves grammar, but he also hates the physical act of writing. I am planning to have him use Fix-It next year and I'm toying with the idea of just having him mark up the sentences and not physically write them out. He will be doing plenty of other writing and copying of quality sentences in his other work. Is this a bad idea? Does it take away too much of the value of the program? 

Copying it over might not be necessary (and for my own son he has dysgraphia so I often scribed it for him after he marked the sentence) but one thing that makes it a little difficult to determine context is not remembering the story from week to week.  Also, it helps to have the visual reinforcement of the sentence correctly punctuated at the end.  Perhaps he could mark the sentence then you could scribe it for him or type it for him and at the end of each week he could read the story so far to keep track and to SEE the sentences correctly punctuated, words spelled correctly, etc.

Something else that really worked well here was using a large print dictionary (standard adult dictionary but with large print).  Every day there is one word to look up in the dictionary.  I found it invaluable for DS and DD to look up those words in the dictionary (NOT on an electronic device) and try to find not only the word but then determine the correct definition for the context in which the word was used in that particular literary passage in that particular sentence.  We had a lot of great discussions on the nuances of language and it really honed their skills for alphabetizing past the first letter of a word.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback. I used The Nose Tree with my older son and I remember the tears about writing it out each day. I love the idea of writing or typing it for him! Unfortunately, he has severe computer/device addiction issues so I cannot let him type it himself until we've worked through that. :-\ 

• Like 1

Mine didn't write the sentences. I wrote the incorrect version on our big whiteboard and we fixed it as a group. No one copied it. It's just an adapted story; you won't be missing super amazing copywork or anything. 🙂

• Like 2

If you really want him to see the fixed sentences, they are printed at the end of each week in the teacher's manual. You could just show them to him.

This is true and might work well. 

I just thought I should share that it didn't for mine, unfortunately.  The kids found it a bit frustrating to have to read out of the TM and only the few sentences for that week unless we wanted to keep flipping through lots of pages to find the previous material.  They preferred something typed out or handwritten that included every part of the story covered so far.  Especially if we took a break, they needed a refresher to keep the storyline clear in their heads and it was just so much easier to have the story all written out in one location.  DD wrote her own.  For DS I scribed it at first then switched to typing it because I type so much more quickly than I write.  Next year DS is going to type his sentences himself.

This has given me a lot to think about! I'm leaning toward having him mark up, and then having him read through it with me as I rewrite the sentence to keep a copy of the story going. I am pretty go-with-the-flow so I could have him write a sentence himself every few days to work his way up to doing it himself eventually. 

• Like 1

What about taking 10-20 min and typing out all the correct sentences and then cutting them up, so he can just tape or paste the sentence in the space he’s supposed to copy it? Fun and easy!

Oh that might be really interesting!  Wish I'd thought of that for my own kids. 

Maybe print it on thin card stock so it is easier to move them around.  He might enjoy figuring out where they go, maybe even coming up with a different arrangement to start his own story.  You could scribe it for him.