Menu

Rules for online etiquette

KathyBC

Anyone want to help me brainstorm some concise, simple rules for online discussions?

I'm getting tired of deleting comments from the same bunch of users on my local facebook page.  :tongue_smilie:

I've looked at the helpful rules for this forum and done some googling. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Be respectful

2. Be forgiving

3. Watch your tone. Avoid call outs. Ignoring call out invitations is better than engaging. 

4. Don't monopolize the conversation. It is not necessary to have the last word.

5. Moderators will delete or close posts, sometimes preemptively. It is not personal.

Report to a moderator instead of engaging in an argument. Explain how to block someone and tell people to do this rather than engaging in arguments. Encourage people to keep scrolling if something is bothersome.

Since this has been a repeated issue, tell people you will give them one warning (or two if you are feeling particularly generous- 3 strikes and you're out) and if they keep needing moderation, they'll be removed from the group. You'll need to keep a simple document keeping track of users who have been warned, but that shouldn't be too hard and in the end, it'll save you time.

With regards to rule 5, you should point out that if your post gets deleted, you are not allowed to repost it.

• Like 1

All of this might sound strict and harsh but I've completely lost faith in the ability or willingness of people to act like adults online. The Hive is one of the only places I've found where people are willing to engage in debate with any level of maturity and even here things fall apart every so often and the mods have to step in and make people behave. :)

• Like 5

All of this might sound strict and harsh but I've completely lost faith in the ability or willingness of people to act like adults online. The Hive is one of the only places I've found where people are willing to engage in debate with any level of maturity and even here things fall apart every so often and the mods have to step in and make people behave. :)

:iagree:

I think those are all good reminders for a group forum.

I gauge my own behavior based on two things. Would I speak that way if we were face to face? And I also read every comment with full understanding that it’s okay for people to have a different viewpoint or opinion than my own.

• Like 2

Lately I've been seeing more people correcting other posters' minor spelling or grammar errors which have no negative effect on the conversation (in other words, the meaning and sense are obvious even with the error).  This seems unnecessary and designed to make the corrector look smarter in comparison to the poor person who made the mistake (which may not have been a mistake at all, but an autocorrect that went unnoticed).   

I'm not sure how to word that for a concise set of rules.  

• Like 3

I think those are all good reminders for a group forum.

I gauge my own behavior based on two things. Would I speak that way if we were face to face? And I also read every comment with full understanding that it’s okay for people to have a different viewpoint or opinion than my own.

Lately I've been seeing more people correcting other posters' minor spelling or grammar errors which have no negative effect on the conversation (in other words, the meaning and sense are obvious even with the error).  This seems unnecessary and designed to make the corrector look smarter in comparison to the poor person who made the mistake (which may not have been a mistake at all, but an autocorrect that went unnoticed).   

I'm not sure how to word that for a concise set of rules.  

Both excellent points. That is for sure the trouble, trying to fit everything in while keeping the rules/guidelines simple.

Unfortunately, what Mimm said above rings true. We have seen it here as well during heated debates.

I would possibly consider mentioning "ad hominem" attacks and explain exactly what those are and why they have no place on a public forum. There seem to be many who don't understand the concept.

• Like 2

The other issue I'm running into is maybe just personality. Personally, I think a little respectful debating is fine (one of the appeals of this forum  :001_smile:  ), but I've had a couple moderators of other groups mention that just silently deleting the whole post, with brief or no explanation, might be best.

ETA: Which maybe comes back to what you were saying, Mimm. It might sound strict or harsh, but a 3-strikes rule would be a time-saver.

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 1