Menu

ELTL, English Lessons Through Literature, - level E

Susie in MS

I am just about ready to order dd's next level in English , but I don't see where Barefoot Ragamuffin offers a workbook for this level. If you have this book, am I just missing the link for the wkbk? Or is it easy enough to use the text w/o the wkbk? 

ETA:

I noticed this curriculum is rarely mentioned anymore. Why is that? Anyone have a guess? 

Edited by Susie in MS

The author recently had a big move, so I'm guessing that's why the workbook hasn't gotten done yet. Someone asked recently about the workbooks for level E on the Yahoo group. Here's the reply:

Currently, there is no workbook pdf or otherwise for Level D or Level E.  Both are on the to-do list.  Hopefully, they will come sometime in the next year.

I have used a notebook for the exercises, and that has worked fine.  There is an answer key in the back of the textbook.

If you would like a workbook, level 4 workbook is available and will mostly match.   

Here are links about mixing old workbooks and new textbooks or new workbooks and old textbooks.  http://barefootmeandering.com/site/faq/#eltlworkbooks

Edited by silver
  • Like 1

We have been using D this year without a workbook.  My DD just has a notebook that she does all her exercises and copywork in.  I know the older grades are designed for use with a "commonplace book," so making the workbook is probably a low priority.  We are still enjoying using ELTL.  

We have been using D this year without a workbook.  My DD just has a notebook that she does all her exercises and copywork in.  I know the older grades are designed for use with a "commonplace book," so making the workbook is probably a low priority.  We are still enjoying using ELTL.  

That's what we plan to do next year for D, but I think we're going to go with three slim notebooks: dictation, copywork, and grammar.

Kind of a spin off question but how do you find this programme? We have wayfarers but are loving iew so haven't switched with the English except to read the books but so far ds is hating the book choice for the literature. I'm not sure what I'll do next year but possibly may switch so that everything lines up.

Kind of a spin off question but how do you find this programme? We have wayfarers but are loving iew so haven't switched with the English except to read the books but so far ds is hating the book choice for the literature. I'm not sure what I'll do next year but possibly may switch so that everything lines up.

We have really liked level 3 © this year.  The book choices were mostly spot on, with the exception being Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare.  It wasn't a bad book, but it took more work to enjoy than the rest. 

To be fair, we have modified the program as a whole.

Literature - fine, read as scheduled.

Copywork - one passage rather than two, and sometimes we cut that down. 

Written narration/oral narration - I alternate these between the stories from the book, the stories from his Elson Reader, and history.  It depends based on the subject, but since written narrations will become more frequent in history, I rotate the emphasis there.

Dictation - he didn't like the prepared dictation and requested continuing with our previous program, Dictation Day By Day.

Grammar - I add in Montessori symbol 'people' and he uses colored pencils to mark the sentences according to the parts of speech (or part of sentence.  For example, Mr. Preposition is green, the green symbol is drawn over the preposition in the sentence, and a green line is drawn under the object of the preposition).

So we use it, but we definitely make it our own program rather than following it as written.

• Like 1