Menu

Product recommendations - Fine curly hair

skimomma

Odd question but Goggle is just tossing up very expensive options.  I'm hoping to get some we-live-in-real-world suggestions.

14yo dd has very long, curly, but quite fine hair.  She only combs it, while wet, with a wide tooth comb.  In summer, when it is humid, it looks curly and healthy looking and she is pleased with it.  In the winter, with low humidity and forced-air heat, it quickly turns into a stringy mess.  Winter hats make it worse.  She only combs it (with a wide tooth comb) when wet and currently does not use any product.  The few "curly hair" products she has tried tend to weigh her hair down or make it seem greasy to her.  She uses normal "eco-friendly" shampoo and conditioner.  

She did the no-poo thing for years.  Her hair seems to behave the same.  But even if it did make a big difference, it is off the table because she is an athlete and has to actually scrub her head and thoroughly wash her hair daily due to sweat build up.  Rinsing with plain water (as is suggested for no poo people who work out) just does not cut it.  She actually prefers this method (she likes to use low-impact products) but I insisted she use shampoo once the funk got out of control.  It the summer, she does switch to apple cider vinegar for "conditioner" and that works fine.

I suspect that a shampoo/conditioner combo specifically for this type of hair and perhaps some product would go a long way to improve the situation.  Because she has to wash daily and uses a lot of shampoo/conditioner to cover all of her long hair, I need something that is not terribly expensive.

So I’m confused - are you trying to find an effective shampoo for odor control or one that makes her hair fluffier and curlier? What’s the primary goal you want the product to achieve?

Fluffier and curlier.  The odor discussion was just to explain why the no-poo method, which is often recommended for curly hair, is not an option for dd at this time.  I probably should have left that out but find that it is often the first suggestion for curly hair care.

ETA - I'm just looking for affordable shampoo, conditioner, and maybe product that works well for fine curly hair.  Affordable being the magic word.

Edited by skimomma

I have fine, curly hair. I get the best results using a sulfate-free "low poo" shampoo, and silicone-free conditioner. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle line works well AND is inexpensive.

My routine:

-wet hair

-tip head upside down

-use conditioner on all of my hair EXCEPT my roots

-use shampoo on roots

-rinse out both conditioner and shampoo

-flip hair up and back as I stand up

-once out of the shower, apply a dime-sized amount of DevaCurl Wavemaker all over my hair (upside down again), then an even smaller amount of DevaCurl gel to the roots and crown, then squeeze hair with a microfiber towel.

- flip back upright, arrange hair as desired, then use a blow dryer with diffuser to partially dry hair, especially at the crown. Allow to air dry, then scrunch out the product stiffness. I use DevaCurl hairspray at this point.

I use such small amounts of the styling products that it doesn't seem like too much of an extravagance. I'm pretty sure that I get the shampoo and conditioner for under $5 per bottle.

I hope this helps. Most curly hair info assumes that one has thick, coarse hair, and I had to do a lot of trial and error to find what works for me.

Also, I have fairly short hair, so the amounts that I gave here would probably need to be adjusted for longer hair. My advice is to start with very small amounts and gradually increase as needed. It's very easy to cross the line from just enough to hair that is weighed down and stringy.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have the same hair type and I'm still trying to figure it out! 

What doesn't work for me are shampoos and conditioners to soften the hair; they are too heavy and end up making my hair limp. I also prefer mousse, it defines the curl best versus creams that can be too heavy. My favorite products are Kenra platinum and TIGI/Bed Head head (I do like their creams). These are more expensive, but Ulta runs really good sales every so often making them fairly affordable, as well as keeping a point/reward system that helps keep cost down as well. 

I also avoid ANYTHING advertising protein in it; it has ruined my hair more than once. For some reason my hair is way too fine and fragile to tolerate and it causes horrible breakage. 

• Like 1

I have fine, curly hair.

I avoid hats.  I know of no cure for hat hair.  

The shampoo doesn't matter much for me.  I think Neutragena is the best for smelly hair in general.

It's the conditioner that counts.  

Paul Mitchell Daily Conditioner is what I use when I want my hair to be soft and flexible.  It's very healthy for long hair.

Neutragena Triple Moisture Leave In Conditioner is what I use when I need more body in my hair.  

Either way, I put the conditioner in, rinse or not depending on what kind it is, and then clip my hair back behind my ears and let it dry naturally.  This allows the curl to develop in the back and down the ends but not overwhelm the sides and top.

• Like 1

I have curly fine hair, and my daughters have wavy hair.  Dd's hair was hip length until this fall. I've had good luck with the Kirkland (costco) shampoo (purple bottle) and conditioner (vanilla bottle).  I also like Tresemme's silicone and sulfate free line.  

I agree above with shampooing the scalp only and conditioning the hair only (like below the ear line).

I do splurge on my mousse, but a bottle lasts me 6 months: 

https://www.amazon.com/TIGI-Catwalk-Strong-Mousse-Medium/dp/B000VTRJRM

https://www.amazon.com/TIGI-Curls-Contour-Cream-Ounce/dp/B001O2SEOM

I hear the Tresemme curl cream is decent, but I haven't tried it.  

• Like 1

I hope this helps. Most curly hair info assumes that one has thick, coarse hair, and I had to do a lot of trial and error to find what works for me.

Thanks for the advice!  We have found that most advice seems to be for thicker and courser hair.  I have stick straight hair so am no help at all!

I also avoid ANYTHING advertising protein in it; it has ruined my hair more than once. For some reason my hair is way too fine and fragile to tolerate and it causes horrible breakage. 

Good to know!  Dd has never tried one of these but we will be sure to avoid them.

• Like 1

I do well with cheaper shampoos, and shampooing more often. But she isn’t going to beat the weather. For winter she really should just be dealing with it with updos and braids, because you can only control so much in terms of stringiness if your scalp produces a lot of oil and you have fine hair. Dry shampoo spritzers can help - I love Batiste.

But for regular washing a really inexpensive shampoo like Aussie or even Suave is just fine, paired with no conditioner or a very light one like VO5 or even just cider vinegar. And she must only apply it below her ears, NEVER to her scalp.

This will help but it isn’t foolproof. Most curly hair products are too oily for me too, for what it’s worth. And the washing is too infrequent - my scalp acts up.

I think dd's hair is actually too dry in the winter.  The forced air heat, low humidity, and daily washing seem to strip it or something.  She does not put conditioner near her scalp but I suspect she is washing ALL of her hair.  I'll have to suggest just scrubbing the roots.  I really wish she did not have to wash it daily but I don't see any way around it.  Her skin is also too dry from daily showering.

I have fine, curly hair.

I avoid hats.  I know of no cure for hat hair.  

Unfortunately, dd avoids hats too.  She wears them for training but avoids them most other times.  That is not a smart option in this climate but I guess she is old enough to deal with the consequences.  

My girl has very fine curly hair but a ton of it. The winter air can be very drying for curls. I would suggest a small amount of a moisturizing product or natural oil. My daughter's hair loves coconut oil (unrefined virgin coconut oil). You can get a jar for a few dollars that lasts a long time. Some hair does better with jojoba oil or olive oil. It only takes a very small amount. Apply a very small amount when damp. She might also considering washing with only conditioner every other day instead of shampoo if her hair is very dry.

• Like 1

I'm going to go back and read the comments later because this is my hair, too.  What I've settled on for now is Suave Coconut Conditioner and LA Looks gel.  Maybe more expensive products would work but I don't want to spend a lot of money on my hair. 

I think maybe the combing should stop.  I don't ever comb or brush my hair, wet or dry.  What I do, if even needed (and it's usually not needed) is to run my fingers through my hair when I'm rinsing out the conditioner, spreading my fingers far apart.  After I do this, I rinse some more without touching the hair too very much so that the curls can form naturally. The final thing I do is bend over is shake my head without touching my hair.  Once out of the shower, I tied it up in a large square I made out of an old T-shirt for awhile.  When I put the gel in, I don't run my fingers through again.  The curls are forming by this time and you don't want to disrupt that. 

Edited by milovany