Menu

Right Start Math Circle Sets - Help

goldenecho

We're on lesson 5 of Level C, Part-Whole sets...which are confusing the heck out of my son. 

We did not do level B, but started at C...based on just skimming through I don't feel like we're at the wrong level.   Overall, even looking ahead, a lot of this he's already covered.   Anyways, I mention that because I don't know if this is a review of something they've already introduced or not. 

Does anyone know any good alternative ways to introduce part-whole circles?   I think they go by another name than that, too...so if you can even tell me what else they are typically called I can look up stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers (though I'd still love suggestions of anything that worked well for your child.).  

Thanks!

If I understand what you are referring to correctly it is just fact families. The large circle...let's say it is 45 and it is made up of other "parts" we will say one circle is 20 and one is 25. So basically 20+25=45, 25+20=45, 45-20=25 and 45-25=20. I often draw minus signs down the side lines and put a plus on the horizontal line that connects the parts.

Sometimes there will be more than two parts circle showing that the largest number can be divided up into different parts.

It also gets used for missing addends. So you might have a missing number and you have to solve for it. So using the same numbers as before x+20=45 and solve for x.

ETA: just went and pulled C off the shelf. I see lesson 6 in mine covers part whole circles. So looking at 10 as the sum or whole number and 3+7 as the addends. Again, this is just fact family stuff. They change the sum to 11 and erase the 3 so the child can try to find the missing number. X+7=11 essentially.

Edited by nixpix5

Part-while circles are introduced as early as RS A & are used throughout several levels. They’re simply a visual depiction of fact families - two (or more) “parts†coming together to form a “wholeâ€. You can do the same with a bar model (Singapore uses these), divided triangle, etc.

The whole circle is the oven/bag.

The circle to the left is my plate.

The circle to the right is your plate.

If we pull 10 cookies out of the oven and I put 6 cookies on your plate, then how many cookies will I get on my plate?

Or ... I've got 3 cookies on my plate.  You've got 4 cookies on your plate.  If we put them together in this bag to give to Grandma, then how many cookies will we give her all together.

Once the child sees what's going on, then be sure to introduce the terminology of which circles are the parts (plates) and which circle denotes the whole (oven).

somehow, imaginary cookies makes math so much more real than tiles or abacus beads to my kids.  :)

• Like 5

Thanks.   I think this may work!   I tried explaining it a couple ways but he just wasn't getting it. 

The whole circle is the oven/bag.

The circle to the left is my plate.

The circle to the right is your plate.

If we pull 10 cookies out of the oven and I put 6 cookies on your plate, then how many cookies will I get on my plate?

Or ... I've got 3 cookies on my plate.  You've got 4 cookies on your plate.  If we put them together in this bag to give to Grandma, then how many cookies will we give her all together.

Once the child sees what's going on, then be sure to introduce the terminology of which circles are the parts (plates) and which circle denotes the whole (oven).

somehow, imaginary cookies makes math so much more real than tiles or abacus beads to my kids.   :)