Menu

Anyone use Schole Academy?

3 ladybugs

I know there is an accent in that but I am not sure how to do that on my keyboard. 

I am thinking of having my son use it in the fall for Latin. I never learned it and my DH only had it briefly before he went to public school (was in Catholic school for a bit). I would like him to learn it properly. It costs more then what we pay for his German classes (in person) but I think it might be worth it. 

Can anyone talk about how they liked it and if they saw the value of it? Would you do it again?

I am using it for my son for Latin Alive 2. I plan on using the online academy for Latin Alive 3, and I will probably have my next son enroll in Latin Alive 1 either this next year or the following. My first son and I muddled through LA 1 together, but my 2nd son does not naturally love Latin like the first. The teacher we are using actually wrote the curriculum. He is re-retiring this year though, so we will end up with two different teachers next year. LA was less expensive through CAP than through WHA, despite using the text. WHA functions very much like a school, from what I learned last night at the open house, but you really are just part of an independent class at Schole. 

• Like 1

I am using it for my son for Latin Alive 2. I plan on using the online academy for Latin Alive 3, and I will probably have my next son enroll in Latin Alive 1 either this next year or the following. My first son and I muddled through LA 1 together, but my 2nd son does not naturally love Latin like the first. The teacher we are using actually wrote the curriculum. He is re-retiring this year though, so we will end up with two different teachers next year. LA was less expensive through CAP than through WHA, despite using the text. WHA functions very much like a school, from what I learned last night at the open house, but you really are just part of an independent class at Schole. 

I am curious to know what difference this makes in a particular class. How does the fact that WHA has a full spread of middle and high school courses available make any difference in a student's Latin 2 class experience? 

I can see how the larger program requires more overhead and admin, adding to the cost. 

We like CAP materials and I have a student in a class at WHA (not Latin). We are very happy with both.

I think it explains what I noticed was the big difference when I was was researching last year: cost. Since I was only using one online class, Schole did not have an enrollment fee that I remember. I think WHA was over $100. It has been awhile though. 

I actually spoke to Bruce Etter today about the GC 1+4 course. I asked him if there were any differences between the two Latin classes, and he said he would have to forward the question to the person who teaches Latin. If we do choose to enroll in the GC class, due to the "school feel" of WHA, it could be advantageous relationally to have both classes under the same umbrella. I wanted to know if there would be any differences. I think the school feel is a positive, but we have been really happy with our CAP experience. From where I sit, neither option would be bad. I really like LA and both use it! Does that help? I am not trying to put one above to other. To my knowledge (based on an open house), that seems to be the one difference I can discern. I really like having options!

Edited by thegeyser

WHA = Wilson Hill Academy

My son is enrolled in Latin for Children at Schole this year. I was waffling between WHA and Schole because the instructor was brand new this year. I decided the better time of day for class was more important and took a chance. My son looks forward to Latin and truly enjoys it. He readily completes his assignments and has responded well to the teacher who majored in classics. You can tell she enjoys Latin. Whereas me, I would be muddling through with my son on our own with the material. For foreign language, I think having an instructor who is passionate about the language is so important.

• Like 3

I've used WHA and Schole for Latin, but not at the LFC level.  Both are great options!  My dd switched to Latin Readings at Schole from WHA because of a scheduling issue.  The Schole class is wonderful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it but I think more depends on the teacher than the school and Mr. DuBose is retiring.  The environment in Mr. DuBose's class is like a tutorial.  They are on webcam the whole time and there are only two or three students in the class.  They do a lot of sight translation and the class time is really productive.  Mr. DuBose will say things like, "I've noticed you made the same grammatical mistake twice.  Here is what you need to be watching for. . ."  WHA's LA 2 and 3 classes were run differently.  There are more students per class.  They use the chat box a lot which is in contrast to Mr. DuBose's class with no chat.  It is a much more social environment at WHA.  My dd doesn't have a chance to get know the other two kids in her Schole class.  They both use the same curriculum so you could switch from one school to another without trouble if for some reason you wanted to change in a future school year.  Both have been very effective in helping my kids learn Latin.  We have had great experiences with all of the teachers we have had (Hensley, Coll, and DuBose).  I wish I could help with the elementary level but thought I would chime in and see if this might help a bit.  

• Like 4

I think the class maximums can be bigger at Schole. I would venture to guess that Latin Readings may be smaller because there are less students continuing to study Latin at that point? My son says that there are 13 kids in his class. I can't say how accurate his count is. For some reason, my impression was there were more kids in there at the beginning of the year. Schole has a far more generous cancellation policy. 

Q. What is your refund policy?
A. There is a $75 deposit built into the cost of each course. Withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the deposit. After May 1, withdrawals are granted a full course refund, less the $75 deposit. Students may withdraw from a course through the second week of classes. After the second week of classes, no refund is given.

• Like 2

If you don't include the deposit (which is silly to do because you don't get it back) the cost is roughly what we are paying for German. I really don't need my son to have any other classes with them other then Latin. It is something we would have issues teaching him (like German). 

It sounds like it is a good program and people like it. Thanks for the reviews! 

Just a quick update, I just noticed that for Schole Academy, the course description for Latin for Children A & B is now 3x a week for 45 to 60 minutes. I know that Schole has a policy of students may not miss more than 6 classes and they don't record for later viewing as a standard. You can request to view the class if you miss, but it is on a request basis. There are no times scheduled yet, but I am guessing it must be a MWF schedule as that would make the most sense. The schedule is going to dictate whether we continue with Schole or switch to WHA.

• 8 months later...

I'm starting to plan for 2019-20 already.  My son is in 6th grade and takes 2 classes at Schole Academy & 2 classes at WHA.  All of them are great.  He has been taking Spanish for CHildren at Schole Academy, but next year I'm going to have him take Latin.  I'd like to know if anyone is taking classes at either school and the teachers they would recommend and why.

Edited by lbell

My sons take writing there for three years now. They have had different teachers and all have been great. The school is growing quickly so many of the teachers are new. 

They do record every class it is school policy. However they only send the link to the recording by request. Also the days allowed to miss have increased to 10, though I have found them very lenient for online students. They have to have such rules because they have a physical school affiliate.

I know quite a bit about the school. They are in the process of transitioning into a full school where a student can earn a high school diploma online. This may be in the next year if it didn't start this school year. In the next couple of years they will be transitioning into a school with full course offerings from Elementary through High School. They have an affiliation with some college where their high school students are be able to receive dual credit for (some of ) the high school courses. This is one reason they have to have an attendance rule. You can find info about that on their website.

I know from speaking with the principal that they'd rather turn away students than hire subpar teachers. Which is something they are having to do in some classes.

They have a virtual open house coming up in November. The 13th I believe. Attend that and ask away.

ETA: Also, they go beyond offering only the basics. They are expanding to offer some fairly cool STEM electives for high school students. They have one right now but I can't recall the name. The teacher bios are pretty impressive. They really go after quality staff. They have several Ph.D.s on staff and my take is, you don't get a Ph.D to teach online students. So they have arrived there by choice after several years in industry doing other things.

Edited by RenaInTexas

I asked that and was told they only identify as Christian and have staff from all of those denominations. They don't lean toward any specific one and it is their policy to respect the views of all Christians regardless of Church affiliation. My sons have only taken Writing and the religious content in school is basically reading a devotional, prayer, or scripture at the beginning of class. Speaking gratefully about the opportunity to gather together and learn and then class closes with a short benediction and everyone thanking the teacher and each other. The religious content in their books also stick with scripture and don't stray into traditions or other ideals that 'divide' the Church.

The students have an online class forum where they kind of 'hang-out'. My son has made a couple of friends where they exchanged email addresses and stayed in touch over the summer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, lbell said:

Anyone have a student take the Programming Harmony class at Schole Academy?

Hello!  I'm looking at both Schole and Wilson Hill.  I see that Schole is not accredited.  Has this been an issue for anyone?  Thank you!

3 hours ago, Beck6 said:

Hello!  I'm looking at both Schole and Wilson Hill.  I see that Schole is not accredited.  Has this been an issue for anyone?  Thank you!

Unless you have a student needing to deal with NCAA issues, accreditation is meaningless. Doesn’t guarantee good teaching. 

One of my kids has taken math with WHA for four years and it had been excellent. Pricey, but excellent. 

@Nam2001has kids who have taken several classes at Schole and loved them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Beck6 said:

It has not been an issue. I have one at least that is pursuing NCAA approval and even with that, you just have to jump through a few hoops and fill out CCW's... accreditation has not been a deal breaker. That said, Excelsior Classes recently became accredited and we were very happy with the class my ds took there this year as well and will be doing more in the future,