Menu

incredibly paranoid all the time. why?

dismalisland

helloooo. i've suffered from paranoia nearly all of my life. i think the earliest memory i have of it was age 8 or 9. i think every stranger is after me and at school i have to turn the cameras on the computers around. i feel targeted by people who i don't even know. i think the government is always watching me. please don't call me weird for this. i just want some answers or maybe suggestions on what this could be. sometimes i get bouts of paranoia (paranoia attacks??) where i start hyperventilating and have to check my door and my windows and hide under my covers. again, please don't call me weird. i'm a 17 year old female, if that helps. thanks to any of those who answer!

There are medical conditions that cause feelings like that (anxiety or paranoia). It’s not anyone’s fault, just how some people are. A therapist (psychiatrist) can help you work though what exactly is going on, give techniques to help minimize any problems, or help with medicines that may tweak your balance of brain chemicals if there is an imbalance. Do you have medical insurance and can see somebody? Do you have a trusted family member who can help?

• Like 2

Have you talked to your parents or anyone about your feelings? A counselor or a therapist might be really helpful.

i used to have a therapist, but i no longer do. i haven't talked to my family because when i told my mother about my intrusive thoughts (caused by my OCD) she threatened to send me to a psych ward.

There are medical conditions that cause feelings like that (anxiety or paranoia). It’s not anyone’s fault, just how some people are. A therapist (psychiatrist) can help you work though what exactly is going on, give techniques to help minimize any problems, or help with medicines that may tweak your balance of brain chemicals if there is an imbalance. Do you have medical insurance and can see somebody? Do you have a trusted family member who can help?

thank you for telling me that stuff! we do have medical insurance, but the last time i brought up something that one of my mental illnesses caused to my mother, she told me she was going to send me to the psychiatric hospital.

I agree with the above poster about having a physician who could help you with medicines that may balance the chemicals in your brain? You’re definitely not weird!!!! It’s good to be able to ask questions about what you’re going through.

thank you, i think thats the best option too!!! i'll try my best to get one..thank you for being so nice <3

thank you for telling me that stuff! we do have medical insurance, but the last time i brought up something that one of my mental illnesses caused to my mother, she told me she was going to send me to the psychiatric hospital.

1. Your mother cannot do that. A person cannot be committed to a mental hospital unless she is dangerous to herself and others as determined by a psychiatrist,  not by a relative. 

2. You are having intrusive thoughts. There is outpatient treatment for that. 

3. Your mother's threats are abusive. 

Is there someone else you trust who would support you-- friend, family member, pastor, teacher?  When do you turn 18? 

• Like 11

I will always advocate telling a trusted adult about problems so they can help you. However, you can get help yourself (without a parent or adult present or knowledgeable) for psychiatric purposes. If you are in the US and have health insurance. You can start by calling your last therapist to see if you can get an appt there. You can call your insurance (number on back of insurance card or website), for a list of psychiatric doctors or therapists near you. You will need to find a way to get to an appointment too. And, sometimes there will be a fee when you see the doctor. If you’re in college already, that would likely all be on campus or close by. Occasionally, a regular primary doctor (internist or pediatrician), can give minor guidance, like a list of recommendations, or screen for diseases that mimic anxiety (like thyroid disorders).

Even though you’re not an adult, in the US, kids are allowed by law to get medical help for mental illness without parents. But, without help, it can be hard. And, I’m not accusing you, but a big reason for paranoia can be medicines or drugs. So, don’t take any that haven’t been prescribed for you. (Hugs)

• Like 1

There is actually something called paranoid personality disorder.  I know nothing about it.  FWIW, paranoia is a symptom of other more serious illnesses, but if you aren't really having other symptoms (such as hearing voices) you probably don't have those. 

Your mother might be threatening you with "sending you to a psychiatric hospital" because she is worried.  Maybe she is even paranoid herself (although that's just a guess).  They don't tend to send people to psych hospitals anymore unless it's extreme (like you are hurting yourself or engaging in criminal activity).  So it's unlikely that would happen and she can't make it happen just by mentioning it to a doctor or anyone else for that matter.

• Like 2

1. Your mother cannot do that. A person cannot be committed to a mental hospital unless she is dangerous to herself and others as determined by a psychiatrist, not by a relative.

2. You are having intrusive thoughts. There is outpatient treatment for that.

3. Your mother's threats are abusive.

Is there someone else you trust who would support you-- friend, family member, pastor, teacher? When do you turn 18?

i turn 18 on july 18th of this year. my mother is usually a nice person but she seemed angry and sort of exploded on me when i brought it up.

I will always advocate telling a trusted adult about problems so they can help you. However, you can get help yourself (without a parent or adult present or knowledgeable) for psychiatric purposes. If you are in the US and have health insurance. You can start by calling your last therapist to see if you can get an appt there. You can call your insurance (number on back of insurance card or website), for a list of psychiatric doctors or therapists near you. You will need to find a way to get to an appointment too. And, sometimes there will be a fee when you see the doctor. If you’re in college already, that would likely all be on campus or close by. Occasionally, a regular primary doctor (internist or pediatrician), can give minor guidance, like a list of recommendations, or screen for diseases that mimic anxiety (like thyroid disorders).

Even though you’re not an adult, in the US, kids are allowed by law to get medical help for mental illness without parents. But, without help, it can be hard. And, I’m not accusing you, but a big reason for paranoia can be medicines or drugs. So, don’t take any that haven’t been prescribed for you. (Hugs)

thank you very much for this. i promise you that i don’t take drugs; all of the failure stories and “bad trips†make me too scared to even try! (hugs)

• Like 1

Paranoia can also be the result of untreated anxiety. If you have a high level of anxiety it can cause intrusive thoughts that are really upsetting. Fortunately, you can get some relief through medication or therapy. If you really can't access these things for a few months, there are anxiety workbooks available through Amazon or most book stores. It's not a replacement for professional help, but they can be helpful as a stop gap. You can order those and go through them yourself.

For my anxious kids, I use fish oil, vitamin D and a good multivitamin. I like the Smarty Pants Women's vitamin from Target. It has a lot of good things in it, including some B vitamins which can help with anxiety too. 

Another thing you can do is get a stress reducing app. My favorite is called Stop Breathe Think. You can enter in whatever feelings you're experiencing and the app will give you a 5 minute guided video for calming down or focusing your feelings.  Another app I really like is called Clue. It's primarily an app for tracking menstrual cycles but you can customize it to track symptoms and emotions. I have found that getting to know my cycle helps a lot with difficult feelings. I can say "oh yeah, I'm in the week before my period, so I need to take better care of myself, not watch upsetting things, and be prepared to feel a bit off."

Like I said, eventually it would be good to get some outside help, but making choices to actively take better care of yourself can be really empowering. Good luck.

• Like 2