Menu

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina

Aura

I think the victims that spoke in court are all incredibly brave, wonderful women and heroes, especially Rachael Denhollander, but in the grander scheme of things, I thought this would be better served in its own thread instead of potentially derailing or sidetracking the other.

Why Women All Need to Pay Close Attention to Nassar Trial Judge Rosemarie Aquilina

In addition to being a judge for Ingham County Circuit Court in Michigan, the judge teaches at two law schools, has five kids, wrote several novels, and served in the military. This is someone who is clearly accomplished.

This woman is my new hero, and I thought this article had some very good points.

Edited by Aura
  • Like 10

I thought it was the obvious play on her part (and reading that article, she basically says the same thing - she thought she was doing what everyone else would do).  Public sentiment is pretty clearly against Nassar.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take up arms against a serial child molester who assaulted lots of young, largely white, pretty now-women then-girls, including some relatively famous ones.  People are disgusted by him and rightly so, and I think she did a great job reading the public mood and doing the right thing morally re: victim statements and sentencing.

• Like 1

She is a horrible judge who crossed the line in wishing in an open court that Larry Nasser will be sexually assaulted in prison.

Our Constitution does not allow for cruel and unusual punishment. If it did, I have to say, I might allow what he did to all of these beautiful souls ― these young women in their childhood ― I would allow some or many people to do to him what he did to others.

She should be removed from the bench for making such appalling remarks from the bench. 

Bill

• Like 1

I thought it was the obvious play on her part (and reading that article, she basically says the same thing - she thought she was doing what everyone else would do).  Public sentiment is pretty clearly against Nassar.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take up arms against a serial child molester who assaulted lots of young, largely white, pretty now-women then-girls, including some relatively famous ones.  People are disgusted by him and rightly so, and I think she did a great job reading the public mood and doing the right thing morally re: victim statements and sentencing.

Part of what I really like about how her is that she wasn't following public sentiment or reading the public mood. This is standard practice for her. 

• Like 1