Menu

Would New Orleans be free of Mardi Gras by President's Weekend?

TravelingChris

I am trying to plan a mini-vacation and my dh and I haven't visited New Orleans in many years.  But we really aren't interested in being there if there is still the crowds and debauchery that accompanies the tail end of Mardi Gras in New Orleans- at least as many episodes of Cops have shown me.  Since Mardi Gras ends that previous Tuesday, will it be free from chaos by Friday night?

If you have no idea, do you have any idea where I can figure it out?

You could call the Chamber of Commerce or the non emergency line at the Police department and ask.  The Chamber of Commerce often keeps up with the community schedule and offers advice to businesses. They would likely know due to forecasted economic impact of the businesses in the area. 

• Like 1

It has been a while since I have been in New Orleans at that time period, but IME, the city is quiet (by New Orleans standards) and clean up is taking place by Ash Wednesday.   I would not hesitate to go the following weekend.

That is what I thought. Thanks.

You could call the Chamber of Commerce or the non emergency line at the Police department and ask.  The Chamber of Commerce often keeps up with the community schedule and offers advice to businesses. They would likely know due to forecasted economic impact of the businesses in the area. 

Great idea. Thanks

I was in the French Quarter in July when I was 16 (I am 41 so take it for what it is worth). IMHO If you don't want to see that stuff, pick another destination. I love Louisiana. I have family there. But New Orleans isn't a place I would ever take my child to. 

My kids are all adults and this trip will just be dh and myself.  We did take them there for a few hours in 2001, I believe, when we were criss-crossing the country.  I think I took the girls to a historic home in the French Quarter and that was fine.  We just didn't want to get into the crowds and the chaos.  We have been in to Mobile Mardi Gras and enjoyed that one two years ago.  We are just uninterested in the drunken out of control behavior of late Mardi Gras there.  I haven't even gone so far as to look for where we will be staying since I am unsure if we will drive or take the train.