Menu

If you use a kindle table for your young kid’s reading...

madteaparty

Which one do you love/can recommend? It’s not my favorite way to read but we are traveling so I’m building an ipad for older child (his biology and art history come in e-book versions, plus downloading kindle and audible aps for him to listen while he reads)...hoping not to have to get her a full iPad for reading purposes so wondering if a kindle tablet might do?

One thing that is really great on the Kindle Fire for young ones are the read-to-you books.   They are in the apps section of FreeTime.    Look for Seuss books.  They do an amazing job of animating the books without adding any drawings.  For example the snow actually falls, but it is the snow as drawn in the books.  They do a lot with zoom-in and zoom-out.  So, in the story about the walking pants the narrator will read the boy say that he saw some pants, and the screen will show just the pants.   Then the narrator says that pants were in a deep dark forest and it will zoom out to show the deep dark forest.  I don't think that I am doing it justice.   Just try one.  

If you get Overdrive with your library, they also have some really really good read-to-you books.  

• Like 2

The only thing my ds reads on his kindle fire is comics (Calvin & Hobbes), but then he doesn't read by choice yet. If the dc is 10 and under, yeah the fire would be fine. The older or more functional the dc, the more they're going to want what an ipad can do and access to the better apps. 

• Like 1