Menu

Thoughts on a 2000 Hyundai Santa Fe....

JFSinIL

with 40,000 miles on it? Only driven in S. Calif to get little old lady - ok, my mom - to doctor appointments etc? My mom passed New Years Day, and I have been offered this vehicle if I want to fly out and drive it home to Northern Illinois.

One kid has been driving a 2010 Ford Focus (Illinois grandma's car) - far more miles and has been through a zillion area winters - the Hyundai, although older, has far fewer miles and has never seen snow much less road salt :-)

Are folks who drive Santa Fe's happy with them? I drove Mom's car when I visited and liked it enough to get my own small SUV here (different brand though).

I would want to winterize it, get new tires fit for our weather here, etc. Plus there is the cost of gas, motels, etc and I have never driven that far (7 or 8 hours a day behind the wheel is my limit).

Thoughts?

I would jump on that.  Perhaps, you could wait until Spring to pick it up.  If not, wouldn't winterizing just be a good set of chains?

Chains are for wimps ;-) ok, actually the only time I have used or seen folks with chains is in Sierra Nevada mountains in winter. Here in Northern Illinois folks just get tires usable year-round that have good tread for snow driving. No one I know uses chains. But I figure I am more likely to get tires meant for our weather if I buy them here (or even during the trip depending which route I take) than in S. California, right?

Edited by JFSinIL

Even with that low of mileage I would not do it and drive cross country. There could be major issues from it not being run on a regular basis. (disclaimer, I'm not a mechanic, but DH is a pretty good one and he wasn't interested in my great uncles really low mileage/old vehicle, and sure enough it recently needed the transmission replaced)

I wonder what it would cost to have it shipped to you?

• Like 1

Even with that low of mileage I would not do it and drive cross country. There could be major issues from it not being run on a regular basis. (disclaimer, I'm not a mechanic, but DH is a pretty good one and he wasn't interested in my great uncles really low mileage/old vehicle, and sure enough it recently needed the transmission replaced)

I wonder what it would cost to have it shipped to you?

Could you have it checked out by a mechanic before committing or at least before flying out?

We inherited an older car years ago.  It had been sitting for two years and was already 15+ years old.  But it had super low miles and had been a southern car.  At first we declined the offer but after thinking on it, we needed a car and it seemed dumb to not at least try it.  We also had a situation which required a long drive to get it to us.  Dh checked it out himself first as he happened to be in the area for business travel.  Once it passed his initial inspection, he took it to a shop.  It did indeed need some new hoses and belts due to dry rot.  We made a plan to get it on a later trip knowing there was a possibility that something could go wrong on the way.  It made it and we drove the car payment-free for five years.  Then sold it and still see it driving around five more years later.

Would it be possible for someone local to take it to a shop before you decide?  And how flexible are your plans should you have car trouble en route?  Do you have other reasons to make the trip?  These would all be factors in my decision.  I would hesitate to make the trip and take the gamble for a 17 year old car unless I had other business to attend to and could handle a change of plans during travel.  Having it shipped may be cheaper and less risky in the end if you can find a carrier that will charge less than the value (to you) of the car.

• Like 2

Since I have family still in S. Calif I figured on asking here for anyone knowing a trustworthy, reliable mechanic near Santa Ana/Orange I could take it to while I (with a rental car) visited my kid sister in Moreno Valley and kid brother in Oceanside. Was thinking if I research tires I could manage to get appropriate ones before driving here? Had not thought of shipping it - will look into that (as we have a trusted mechanic a few blocks away - he often leave cars with him and walk home). If I was younger I'd jump at the chance for a long drive, but now....I feel old.

Shipping may be better than driving it here...have to look into costs of gas/food/motels etc. Although if I drive I can weave around a bit and see second cousins in north/central Kansas, SIL in Santa Fe, maybe...

Edited by JFSinIL

Got a shipping quote of $1,087 all inclusive (taxes, insurance etc) does that sound about right?

That does sound about right.  And likely much less expensive than getting it yourself and no risk of breaking down on the way.  It is probably not worth that much on paper but knowing it's history, low miles, and no snow, it is "worth" more to you.  I'd do that myself, but I'm sure others would not.

• Like 1