Menu

Any new IP owners?

IfIOnly

DH surprised me with an 8 quart early December. 💗

I'm loving how the rice cooks perfectly in it and have just made my third meal- chicken adobo. It's great how easy browning the chicken was, something I never bothered with using the CP. Also, I could put the saute function on after and quickly thicken the sauce by boiling it down.

My first two meals were ribs. Wowzers. So yummy and quick.

Would love to hear how it's going for you.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

I'm not new but still learning its uses. I made tuna casserole in it tonight. It came out pretty well considering I cooked the noodles in the pot with the other ingredients. That's always a crapshoot.

Nice! I haven't tried pasta yet. Spaghetti will probably be my next dish. We use rice pasta, so it will be a bit more challenging.

I got one for Christmas! I've only managed ground beef from frozen and mashed potatoes, so I have a long way to go. :)

I know the feeling. Ha! We're gluten free and being able to make potatoes quickly was a deciding factor for us purchasing. Haven't done potatoes in it though. :P I should do some soon.

Alright, spaghetti and potatoes next. :)

I got one in December and have used it a lot. I’ve steamed tamales and spring rolls, cooked lots of frozen chicken and ground beef, done some really quick and easy pickled cabbage, cooked pasta and rice, used it to boil milk for yogurt and paneer, prepared a tofu dish for a potluck, and made other things. I really like it and it will be a good appliance to have when we’re doing some long-term moving this summer. I don’t feel like it always saves much time, but it doesn’t require any attention once I turn it on (nothing boils over, unlike the stove). And it does save lots of time on things I use the crockpot for.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 2

I received a six-quart from my kids at Christmas. I guess they decided a week before Christmas and drove all over our city searching for an eight-quart but couldn't find one. So far the six quart has been large enough but I think I'll be buying a larger one at some point.

So far I've made pulled pork, mac-n-cheese and two different chicken dishes.

Love it and everything has turned out great. I was most impressed with the pork. It was delicious in just an hour and I could brown the meat right in the pot!!!!!!

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 1

I've had mine a bit over a year, but use it several times a week. I make a lot of soups (minestrone, chicken noodle/gnocchi, chili, etc.). I use it for rice and hard-boiled eggs. Haven't done potatoes yet, but might try it for sweet potatoes this week. I make what we call "Fatty Mac & Cheese" with bacon & garlic in the IP. Now that I'm counting points, some of the allure of that dish is gone ;).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My new IP has had a modest start as a slightly quicker way to make pulled pork. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not trying more recipes. My one & only recipe making chili failed d/t not sufficiently deglazing the pot after browning the meat. (Followed the recipe, but I won't brown in pot before pressure cooking again!)

Oh, hard cooked eggs once--that was a hit.

I think I'm just such a seasoned cook in other methods, I just need to experiment more to gain some experience.

• Like 1

My new IP has had a modest start as a slightly quicker way to make pulled pork. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not trying more recipes. My one & only recipe making chili failed d/t not sufficiently deglazing the pot after browning the meat. (Followed the recipe, but I won't brown in pot before pressure cooking again!)

Oh, hard cooked eggs once--that was a hit.

I think I'm just such a seasoned cook in other methods, I just need to experiment more to gain some experience.

Bringing deviled eggs to a potluck next week, so eggs are coming up.

I prefer a little extra work if the taste is better. Yesterday I simmered spaghetti sauce on thecstove for 5 hours because that's what makes it taste so good. I prefer roasting veggies in the oven for stir-fry. Rice and mashed potatoes though have been so much easier and better in the IP. Ths rice is perfect. Beans are soo easy too. I cooked two pounds of beans in the IP and got 16 cups/8 cans worth for the freezer for $1.20 vs. $6-8 for cans at the store. So nice to fix it and forget it. Baked beans in my next adventure.

• Like 1

Bringing deviled eggs to a potluck next week, so eggs are coming up.

I prefer a little extra work if the taste is better. Yesterday I simmered spaghetti sauce on thecstove for 5 hours because that's what makes it taste so good. I prefer roasting veggies in the oven for stir-fry. Rice and mashed potatoes though have been so much easier and better in the IP. Ths rice is perfect. Beans are soo easy too. I cooked two pounds of beans in the IP and got 16 cups/8 cans worth for the freezer for $1.20 vs. $6-8 for cans at the store. So nice to fix it and forget it. Baked beans in my next adventure.

First, up thread, you mentioned browning chicken for that adobo recipe. Do you mind expounding upon that experience? Also, do you follow the rice recipe straight from the IP cookbook that came with it?

I forgot that I have done mashed potatoes. Peeled them, cut into chunks, and cooked them up fairly quickly. But other than it being all in one pot, I didn't find any quicker. Am I doing something wrong?

Dh used ours a couple times. I have not yet. I'd like to learn more about the yogurt. We eat a lot of yogurt so might be worth learning. Can you link the recipe? We eat mostly Greek.

Super simple. I have an IP Duo, and this is how I did it:

Pour a gallon of milk into IP pan and press yogurt button a few times until BOIL appears. This doesn't boil the milk actually, just brings it to 180 degrees. The *key* to thick and creamy yogurt is getting it to 180 *and* holding it there for 15-30 minutes

After beeper goes off, I pressed BOILED and repeated the process above several times until the yogurt was at 180 (even higher is fine, the BOIL setting won't let it get too hot) for 15- 30 minutes..

Take pot out of IP (or leave it in) and let yogurt cool to 110 on cooling rack or in sink of cold water. It took about 5 minutes of so and two filling of cold water to get the yogurt to temp. We have cold water.

Add starter (I used a single serving plain yogurt container), stir thoroughly, and put back in IP. Press yogurt function, pick time (8-10 hours), and let incubate.

After it's done, pour out whey carefully or put in fridge and do that after it's cooled.

IMPORTANT: Do not scrape bottom of pan during process. The milk will stick to the bottom and you don't want to bring that up into the yogurt. I clean my IP with a scrub daddy. No scratching but works well. 

Also for GREEK yogurt, you want to strain the yogurt after it's chilled. There are a bunch of ways to do this!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

First, up thread, you mentioned browning chicken for that adobo recipe. Do you mind expounding upon that experience? Also, do you follow the rice recipe straight from the IP cookbook that came with it?

I forgot that I have done mashed potatoes. Peeled them, cut into chunks, and cooked them up fairly quickly. But other than it being all in one pot, I didn't find any quicker. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's the recipe I used with browning (using saute setting) instructions. So yummy. I did take the skin off first.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/instant-pot-chicken-adobo-3649636 I snapped a pic too. :p

26220894_2016055812006813_30978114666819

For mashed potatoes, I always press the saute button as soon as I start cooking to get the IP heating and sometimes use hot water from my tea kettle (don't need much) so it comes to pressure fairly quickly. We also don't drain the remaining liquid. Just mash it all together. 

Edited by IfIOnly

Dh used ours a couple times. I have not yet. I'd like to learn more about the yogurt. We eat a lot of yogurt so might be worth learning. Can you link the recipe? We eat mostly Greek.

There's a super easy cold start yogurt process too, but it requires special milk and straining: http://www.friedalovesbread.com/2017/06/easy-cold-start-yogurt-no-boil-method.html?m=1

• Like 1

Here's the recipe I used with browning (using saute setting) instructions. So yummy. I did take the skin off first. 

For mashed potatoes, I always press the saute button as soon as I start cooking to get the IP heating and sometimes use hot water from my tea kettle (don't need much) so it comes to pressure fairly quickly. We also don't drain the remaining liquid. Just mash it all together. 

Thanks for that -- especially the yummy photo!  

I'm a little nervous about using saute before pressure cooking as doing so made the BURN alarm go off during my chili cooking - so I had to abort that.  

Do you make sure you really, really, deglaze the bottom of the pot between sautéing and beginning pressure cook?

Also, roughly how much water do you add (and please tell me to what poundage of potatoes) in order to be able to just mash that water in.  I have read so many times to use plenty of water to IP to make it function correctly, that I likely am using too much.  So, I definitely had to drain mine.

Have not been here for a while but saw this and wanted to share this info - great recipes with videos. Just made the latest chicken Marsala with pasta the other night and it was great!

http://pressureluckcooking.com

http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-chicken-marsala-pasta/

Edited by jelbe5