Menu

WWE 2 summaries

MyLife

When giving oral summaries, how close would you expect your child to come to the sample summaries? (An 8 year old).

We are on week 20, Alexander the Great and his horse. Son included most of the information but left out "why" the horse was wild. Overall, I though his summary was good, and it included two compound sentences.

How far do you push (edit/revise) to get the summary "just right?"

Edited by MyLife

I don't. I might give another example if I wasn't already getting two narrations by doing it with two kids at the same time. (Kids rotate who goes first and second kid gets more hints about key parts if the first kid missed them.)

• Like 1

When giving oral summaries, how close would you expect your child to come to the sample summaries? (An 8 year old).

We are on week 20, Alexander the Great and his horse. Son included most of the information but left out "why" the horse was wild. Overall, I though his summary was good, and it included two compound sentences.

How far do you push (edit/revise) to get the summary "just right?"

I find it most helpful not to push to get a summary "just right", especially if he's given such a nice summary.  If the child consistently misses important elements, then I've had the most success by "teaching it forward."  Make a note of the sort of error or omission that is happening, and then prepare the child carefully before his next summary so that he can include the important elements. 

So if he often fails to include why something important is happening, make sure that you prompt him with that before his next narration.  Expect that something else will give as he learns the new skill -- sentences may get simpler, you may have one sentence more or less than you are supposed to, he may leave out some intro or conclusion -- but if he gets the new skill and the summary is adequate, praise the successes and then provide necessary support again the next time.  That's worked best here, don't know if it will suit your little one. 

ETA: if you haven't listened to SWB's "A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Elementary Grades", then I strongly recommend it.  What she does is much less fussy than it seems in WWE, to my mind, and it is easier to implement after hearing her talk about it. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 3