Menu

Canvas prints

Seasider

I am decorating a room and would like some canvas prints made of fun portraits of my children. Most of their really fun pictures come from social media, so they usually originate with iPhone snapshots. My daughter tells me these are not high enough quality for a good canvas print to be made from. What's your experience with this? Is there a certain provider that's better at this among those I see advertised?

My friend who exhibits and sells her photography recommended Easycanvasprints; she is very happy with their quality

But as a professional, I take it she's not starting with an iPhone image but rather one from quality camera?

ETA there are some vacation location shots that I cannot go back and re-create with a good camera.

Edited by Seasider

But as a professional, I take it she's not starting with an iPhone image but rather one from quality camera?

yes, she is using a camera. It's just that this was a provider that does a good job making prints, which was one question you asked.

How many megapixels do the phone pictures have? 

Edited by regentrude

yes, she is using a camera. It's just that this was a provider that does a good job making prints, which was one question you asked.

How many megapixels do the phone pictures have?

I should have been more specific - I'm wondering about getting good quality canvas prints from iPhone images. I'm sure the resolution capabilities vary but would mostly be iPhone 6s & 7s.

Thanks for the link, though. I will use my camera for future images that I want to enlarge.

I should have been more specific - I'm wondering about getting good quality canvas prints from iPhone images. I'm sure the resolution capabilities vary but would mostly be iPhone 6s & 7s.

How many megapixels do the phone pics have, or how many MB are the image files?

Do you have the original pics, or only reduced resolution pics from social media?

How large do you want the prints?

Edited by regentrude

How many megapixels do the phone pics have, or how many MB are the image files?

Do you have the original pics, or only reduced resolution pics from social media?

How large do you want the prints?

I don't know the megapixels because they are comin from the devices of my young adults and their friends. I could find out if necessary. I can ask them to email me original files of the shots I like, so I wouldn't have to lift them from social media.

I'd like 11x14 prints but would scale down if the image would be reproducible only in a smaller size. So many variables...

One thing I have learned from doing a very small number of canvas prints is to increase my pixels.  I download my pictures to Picasa and then use that software to increase them.  Once I have enough, I can create a canvas print that will come out looking good.  I'm a novice but was getting frustrated when I could look at a crisp, clear photo from a DSLR camera on my computer screen, upload it and get a warning that it wasn't clear enough. I finally researched it to find the option to increase the pixels.  Worked good after that.

• Like 1

I had an 11x17 canvas made from an iPhone photo and it looks great. It will depend on the quality of each photo. Pictures taken with good lighting will turn out fine when enlarged. Not all the photos I have taken with my phone would be decent enough quality for a canvas.

• Like 1

Image resolution really doesn't vary provider to provider. The size-limiting feature will be size of the original image. There may be sites that will print an image at a lower-than-recommended resolution, but it's going to look pixelated.

Examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=pixelation+example&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt0e3yw63YAhVI1CYKHc7TCzwQ_AUICigB&biw=1263&bih=703#imgrc=SocGh_hHFq2j6M:

• Like 1

I don't know the megapixels because they are comin from the devices of my young adults and their friends. I could find out if necessary. I can ask them to email me original files of the shots I like, so I wouldn't have to lift them from social media.

I'd like 11x14 prints but would scale down if the image would be reproducible only in a smaller size. So many variables...

Any thing posted online is going to be lower quality, you want the originals in the largest format possible.

One thing I have learned from doing a very small number of canvas prints is to increase my pixels. I download my pictures to Picasa and then use that software to increase them. Once I have enough, I can create a canvas print that will come out looking good. I'm a novice but was getting frustrated when I could look at a crisp, clear photo from a DSLR camera on my computer screen, upload it and get a warning that it wasn't clear enough. I finally researched it to find the option to increase the pixels. Worked good after that.

Very helpful, thanks!

• Like 1