Menu

Sourdough lovers: want a free sourdough starter?

I read about this on a sourdough forum (that sounds really geeky, eh?) and was somewhat skeptical, but I sent away for it.

WOW!

Carl Griffith was the "caretaker" of a sourdough that had been in his family since 1847. Yes, you read that right...1847! He gave the starter away free to anyone who wanted it until his death in 2000. Now a group of sourdough lovers are continuing Carl's generosity, and the life of the sourdough. Send them a self-addressed stamped envelope, and in about a month or so you'll get a little bag of dried starter. Rehydrate according to their directions, and you are good to go.

We had sourdough pancakes this morning. Yummy!

Here is the link to the website. It's got a biography of Carl, recipes, and great links. http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

Enjoy!

Ria (who will be baking sourdough bread later today)

Edited by Ria

This sound like fun! Maybe I'll try to give this to mil and sil for Christmas. They like things like this.

That's what I'm doing for my dad! I'm going to experiment with some recipes over the next few weeks. For Christmas I'm giving him a jar of starter along with my favorite recipes.

Ria