Menu

How lengthy do you consider an average cold? Do you go to the doctor?

Ginevra

In your case, I'd probably drag everybody, including DH to the dr, and have the doctor write a list of when to see the doctor, and then have DH keep track of symptoms on a calendar so his mental 3=7 days thing doesn't happen. If it's not on the calendar, it doesn't count, and if it's not on the list, the 'kid' doesn't need to see the doctor.

If that doesn't help, maybe couples therapy. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Sorry, Quill I just saw your follow up posts. I’ve been at work all day seeing people with colds. 😀

Back pain wouldn’t necessarily worry me more, in particular localized and not associated with breathing. And if there are other possible explanations. If it’s better with meds, that would also be reassuring.

Even if it is flu, unless you are going to do Tamiflu there isn’t anything we can do. And if symptoms have been there a few days and not that severe, Tamiflu may not be worth it.

• Like 1

Sorry, Quill I just saw your follow up posts. I’ve been at work all day seeing people with colds. 😀

Back pain wouldn’t necessarily worry me more, in particular localized and not associated with breathing. And if there are other possible explanations. If it’s better with meds, that would also be reassuring.

Even if it is flu, unless you are going to do Tamiflu there isn’t anything we can do. And if symptoms have been there a few days and not that severe, Tamiflu may not be worth it.

Thanks! I may use this quote from you if DH starts nagging me. :)

For a cold, at least a week. I don't go to the doctor for colds. I only took the kids if they were having ear trouble because of it. 

I have had a cold for a week, better for a day, and sick again. Then, I go to the doctor. At that point I know there is a secondary infection that probably needs attention.

ETA: I just read an updated post. Back pain would not make me think of the flu. Like someone else said I think of pain all over when I think of the flu. 

I also don't automatically think of pneumonia because of pain in the back or chest. It could be a pulled muscle because of coughing.

And, one last thing. I don't necessarily take a kid to the doctor because of a fever or high fever. Only if the fever cannot be controlled or last longer than a week. Even if they have the flu we don't necessarily go the doctor. It all depends on how sick we are.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama

At my house it's usually 1 day onset, 2-3 days of full symptom, and then 1-4 days of diminishing symptoms depending on how well the sufferer can sleep.  As long as the symptoms peak at a short duration and then diminish, we don't go to the doctor.  As of yet, I haven't ever needed to take my kiddos in for a cold but we are in general good health.