Menu

What Language to Learn?

Χά�ων

I am looking at surgery and follow up for a medical condition that will keep me off my feet and needing to be less active for long enough that I will go insane without mental stimulation.

It was suggested that I learn another language and I really like that idea. I currently have enough ASL to communicate effectively, but not fluently. I have lightly studied, Greek, Sanskrit, Hindi and Tibetan. With enough time, I can cobble a basic understanding of small amounts of written text in Spanish and French depending on context. I am not fluent in any of these. I have no plans to travel or fully immerse myself in the language. I have friends I can practice with or ask for help who have studied to the point of being fluent in, or are native speakers of Spanish, French, Hindi, Tibetan, and ASL.

French or Spanish I will get the most practice on and I can borrow reading materials, such as books and instruction manual's (yes, I read them for fun), from friends to practice with.

Another option in to learn German with a friend who has mentioned wanting to study it. I would not know someone who is fluent in it, but I would have someone who is learning it at the same time.

Thoughts?

I think factors in choice would be native speakers to practice with,  easy access to good materials, probability of being able to use the language in real life, and whether there is one you just enjoy more. 

Hindi, Spanish, and French are all available on Duolingo, which would give you an easy way to practice especially while you're off your feet. There is also a phone app so you don't always have to be at your computer.  There is also a ton of stuff available online for French and Spanish. The whole Destinos  series (Spanish course set up as a mystery drama with simple speaking so that you can watch and listen) is on youtube.