Menu

Book suggestions

Xahm

In search of a book for my sister in law. It needs to be short, have pictures, and be compelling. She is a very intelligent, analytical, math-major type. She enjoys documentaries about world events. Also, she's newly-wed and a bit baby-crazy atm.

At thanksgiving, she revealed to book-loving me that she hasn't read a work of fiction since elementary school. I told her that I would take that as a challenge for her Christmas present. She said "bring it on, but it better have lots of pictures or I won't read it."

I'm hoping the hive has some great suggestions. Many of you know far more about graphic novels, novels, etc than I. It can even be a truly great picture book that can be enjoyed now or with future child(ren).

Note: this is all in the spirit of fun and mutual respect. None of us will be upset if she doesn't read the book.

Audrey Niffenegger has a few graphic novels. I read the Night Bookmobile.

Amulet wins here for best graphic novel.

It is hard for me to conceive of not having read a book since elementary school, so I'm struggling a bit with what to suggest!

The Martian didn't have any pictures but it was nicely analytical and captured the politics of NASA also.

What if you did something like the board book version of Moby Dick, then an illustrated junior edition, then that fabulous book with a picture for every page (https://www.amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Pictures-Drawing-Every-Page/dp/1935639137) and then a nice unabridged copy?

Although Moby Dick would be an ambitious starter kit...

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

True. She reads some non-fiction, primarily articles. My little brother is like that, too, but I know him so well I can know instantly whether he will like a book I've read, so he trusts my recommendations. I have to cast my net wider for this.

You said she hadn't read fiction, not that she never reads.  Some people quite enjoy nonfiction.  

I'm a math major type, and I love the Little House on the Prairie series of books because they're so cozy.  Not gobs of pictures, though.  Some.

Does she like movies? Cinemaps. (I saw it listed on NPR's best of 2017 books....)

A very cool & beautiful one I read last year: The Singing Bones.

I haven't read it, but I think this one has no words: The Arrival.

If she has ever owned a crappy car, this one is hilarious. Crap Cars. (We gave a copy to a friend who is a car nut. My favorite page was the one about the Suzuki Samurai.)

Not so much illustrated as a well-done faux Ikea catalog which is a horror story. Horrorstör.

I think my favorite choice might be one I bought my dd a few years ago: Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice In Our Campaign Against The Fairy Kingdom. (I mean, that's just a book that cries out to be read!)

Or How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike (And They Will).

How can you decide on just one?!? There are so many great "picture" books out there! :lol:

• Like 3

Thank you so much! Your lists are really up her alley.

I may end up getting her two or three, just to see what sticks.

Does she like movies? Cinemaps. (I saw it listed on NPR's best of 2017 books....)

A very cool & beautiful one I read last year: The Singing Bones.

I haven't read it, but I think this one has no words: The Arrival.

If she has ever owned a crappy car, this one is hilarious. Crap Cars. (We gave a copy to a friend who is a car nut. My favorite page was the one about the Suzuki Samurai.)

Not so much illustrated as a well-done faux Ikea catalog which is a horror story. Horrorstör.

I think my favorite choice might be one I bought my dd a few years ago: Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice In Our Campaign Against The Fairy Kingdom. (I mean, that's just a book that cries out to be read!)

Or How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike (And They Will).

How can you decide on just one?!? There are so many great "picture" books out there! :lol:

I bought this for my sister in law and my daughter last summer. It's Pride and Prejudice, but with beautiful pages and full color illustrations all throughout the book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631590766/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512559400&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pride+and+prejudice+illustrated+by+alice+pattullo

• Like 1