Menu

Word problem supplement for 6th grader weak in math

jkl

Ds (almost 12) is working through CLE 5.  He really struggles in math, and CLE has been a life saver for us!  He has lots of trouble with the word problems in each lesson, though I don't think they are meant to be particularly difficult.  I am looking for a way to give him more practice with these types of problems.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Something with step-by-step explanations would be great, since I am weak in math myself.  Thanks!  :)

I use math word problem ebooks from Teacher Created, Spectrum, Evan Moor, etc. You'll find a variety of kinds. Some are actually working them through how to read and understand and solve word problems. Some are the drip drip of daily word problem books.

These books have lots of grade levels, so you'd just see where he fits and jump in.

How to Solve Word Problems, Grades 4-5

Daily Warm-Ups: Problem Solving Math Grade 4

Lots of good suggestions up thread.  I did want to add that I am weak in word problems, too.  Besides using various specific materials, other things that have helped:

• We would take an existing math problem (not a word problem) that we already knew the solution to and worked backwards by creating our own word problem based on that math problem.  Once we had done that with a couple of problems we already knew the solution to and solved those again, we would take the same type of problem and create a new one with different numbers then try to solve that.  It helped us both to see and deconstruct the structure of word problems in general when we also created our own. 
  • Also, working explicitly on math terms helped.  We created an ongoing list of math terms and wrote them out, discussed their meaning, even watched youtube videos explaining the terms.
  • We also created a math notebook with definitions of terms/concepts that tripped him and DD up so they could quickly refresh their memory as needed.
  • Like 1