Menu

December Frugalistas

hjffkj

Our oldest turns 9 on Wednesday. All he wanted for his birthday was a telescope or microscope. I told him good one were pretty expensive and may be out of one person's price range for a bday gift so he might want to ask for money to go towards it.

So when my brother offered his nice telescope for free I couldn't believe it. To top that off we wanted to take him and his siblings to see star wars. Turns out we have 4 free passes, so his bday celebration is all free, minus the ingredients for key lime pie.

How did you get 4 free passes?  The passes we have aren't good on new movies......darn.

I get paid tomorrow!  YIPPEE!  That will help pay for some christmas, although most of my paycheck these days is going to savings for college for 2nd child and towards oldest child's tuition currently.  Sigh.

All credit cards are completely paid off though.

One thing I want to do over my break is come up with a  better system of organizing/inventorying our food.  We have a large basement area for pantry, as well as an extra fridge and large deep freeze.  We have food, we just don't really know what we have.  Dh is making more of our meals and he stinks at using up what we have and will go shopping and buy more.

How did you get 4 free passes? The passes we have aren't good on new movies......darn.

They are left over from dh's work. They buy a packet of passes at a discount because they take their summer camp kids to the movies as a field trip at least twice over the summer. Since they are the equivalent of paid tickets they may be used whenever. Dh got the leftovers, which was 8 I think. We've used them previously for date nights. These last 4 passes are the end of it.

One thing I want to do over my break is come up with a  better system of organizing/inventorying our food.  We have a large basement area for pantry, as well as an extra fridge and large deep freeze.  We have food, we just don't really know what we have.  Dh is making more of our meals and he stinks at using up what we have and will go shopping and buy more.

That's my focus for January. Eat ALL the food.  When things get hectic here we tend to ignore leftovers, which seems dumb since reheating is fast. But that's our MO and I have to deal with it. Add in the holiday bounty- things we splurge on during the season and then don't finish before it goes bad. 

I like having a full freezer and well stocked pantry but I need to be better about using things and replacing them. And keeping track of what I do have. I use less than one container of cocoa in a year but I thought I was out and bought one. And came home to find a nearly full can in my pantry.  So I'm right there with you- know what I have, use what I have. 

• Like 1