Menu

Aging hoarder

creekland

Where mental illness is involved the misery is usually there already, accompanied by an incapacity to put into practice any improvements that might relieve misery.

Outside help, where possible, may help relieve some of the misery the person cannot relieve themselves.

Living in squalor is I think most often a choice dictated by brain illness, not actually something people choose because they are happy that way. The illness doesn't give them a choice, either a choice to be happy or a choice to improve their circumstances.

But is removing an old person from the environment he has been living in for decades the ethical choice? Will he be happy and feeling well? I think it is very difficult to decide, especially if a person is mentally impaired and cannot see that the forced change is meant to be for his own good, and perceives the feelings of betrayal as real.

Edited by regentrude

But is removing an old person from the environment he has been living in for decades the ethical choice? Will he be happy and feeling well? I think it is very difficult to decide, especially if a person is mentally impaired and cannot see that the forced change is meant to be for his own good, and perceives the feelings of betrayal as real.

He is already not happy and not feeling well.

Most people will feel better in a clean environment, with decent nutrition and healthcare. Brains may begin to recover under such circumstances. The fact that a person cannot achieve this themself does not mean they would not benefit.

But there are certainly no easy choices, and in many circumstances (as seemingly in this one) no real choice at all for those who would help if they could.

Living in squalor is I think most often a choice dictated by brain illness, not actually something people choose because they are happy that way. The illness doesn't give them a choice, either a choice to be happy or a choice to improve their circumstances.

Yes and no.  With my mum the living in squalor wasn't the choice.  The choice was independence, being beholden to no one.  The result (as she became frailer) was squalor, but that wasn't the choice.  It was still more important to her to be independent than to live in cleanliness.

• Like 3