Menu

anyone do competitive martial arts?

maize

Several of my kids started martial arts this summer. Their dojo has a competitive side (National Backbelt League/Sport Karate International) and one of my kiddos has a very competitive personality.

Supposing that child is going to want to get into the competitive side of things, what is the competitive karate world like?

Dh used to and he has students/employees that are nationally ranked(NASKA) and on sponsored teams. Dh has also judged a few times at tournaments. The politics are interesting because there can be quite a ' it is his time to shine' thinking so lesser known competitors are at a disadvantage even if they perform just as well. So, if you want to really get known you have to compete regularly, which takes you all around the country, and is a lot of weekends devoted to tournaments.

• Like 1

My husband and several of my kids compete. They go to about 1 tournament a month usually within a six state area. My daughter qualified to compete at the world competition twice. My husband competed there last year, finishing 2nd for his age and rank. The different organizations have different types of competitions, so I don't think I can help you. Except, perhaps, to say that these types of things tend to grow bigger as the kids get older. I'd like to do fewer tournaments this year, but it is hard to slow that train down.

• Like 1

My son competes in TKD tournaments. But, his DoJo sends him to Forms competitions only, not the Sparring ones because the amount of time he puts in would go up very much for sparring competition training. Our DoJo also does not participate in the weapons category in tournaments. DS competes in the Forms, Synchronized Forms categories. He does 3 competitions in a year. We hardly have the time to do more competitions than that, but if we did, there are many dojos in my area who participate in 6-8 tournaments in a year.

Edited by mathnerd

My older two kids did a few competitions season before last (ATA season starts in... June I think).  Ani ended up getting second in sparring at districts so her season ended there.  It's expensive, but it was tons of fun.  They got to know a lot of the other competitors that they saw over and over.  Now Ani's too sick/health is too unstable to train and Cameron's a head instructor at a school that just opened so competing isn't really an option for either of them anymore.  We know several kids who regularly compete.  In fact, one of them did a clean sweep of her ring yesterday (7 first places).  Another was in the invitational for XMA forms at ATA Fall Nationals last month (2 chosen from video entries compete live at the invitational).  He didn't win, but it was still cool to watch (on ESPN 3 lol).  The chief instructor at the school where Ani works (she's a program director - so behind the desk) was on a World Champ Demo Team two years in a row when he was younger.  Some tournaments are run well, some aren't.  But they always had tons of fun no matter what.

• Like 1