Menu

Who is Matthew?

Night Elf

I check my Spam folder every day to make sure no legit emails get sent there and delete everything else. So in the last few days, nearly all of my emails say something like 'hey matthew', or 'this is for matthew'. So who is Matthew?? I wonder where they got that name from? Usually they just use parts of my email thinking it's my name, which it isn't.

• Like 2

I can't link to the exact table, but if you type in the name on the left, you can see the popularity of Matthew over the years:

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

So, Matthew has been in the top 100 since 1956, and in the top 10 since 1972 (except for the last few years, but those kids aren't reading emails). So, odds are it's just a random common name they're throwing at you and everyone else, including at a large number of actual Matthews. At some point in the future, you might get a bunch of emails for Michael. 

Or, it's possible that your email address appeared somewhere on some website or in some database that's been hacked near the name Matthew, and the program that harvested your email address attached the nearest name to it... not sure if they do this in practice, but it's quite possible.