Menu

Math lessons for a living education?

busymama7

Any experience? We are using CLE and I did love it for a while but now it is just dragging. There is way too much in each lesson and we have to skip so much. For my one finishing up grade 1 we use games to practice the facts as the flash cards reduce her to tears as well as the fact problems in the book. My one that is half way through 3 is doing at least two lessons a day and only part of one review but then I have to choose what to have him do and he can't work much independently. My daughter who really needed CLE just couldn't take it anymore and we skipped 410 in favor of a small break of life of Fred fractions.

I like the look of this one but really hate switching math programs. I thought I had arrived when I found CLE but now we are just bogged down and hating it.

Edited by busymama7

We use MLFLE, and it has been a wonderful change for us. It is a Christian curriculum. It has a Charlotte Mason flavor to it with a story line, copywork, narration, and short lessons. For us, the lessons in Level 1 and 2 were short (15-20 minutes) and the lessons in Level 3 are taking a bit longer (20-30 minutes). The lesson length has been great for us, long enough to be effective but short enough to end the lesson on a positive

note and not to a point of exhaustion. It also has a good mix of hands on activities with traditional worksheets. I think CLE is spiral (right?) and MLFLE is mastery with built in review. We were losing our love of math with our previous curriculum, but MLFLE brought the love back. If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them.

And I would also suggest the placement test if you decide to go with it. Because it is mastery, it is based on levels and not grades. Master Books recommends Level 1 for Grade 1, but I started one of my kiddos in Level 1 about halfway through his K year. All that to say, your children's grade number may not coordinate with the level number.

Edited by MyLife

Thanks!

How long does it take to read through the lesson with the child and those with more than one child, does that all fall on one day? I'm trying to sort out what that would look like. If they can read do they read it themselves? Do you do some practice problems with them? Where are the answers?

• Like 1

The story is set up to be read on the first lesson of the week. So, in a perfect world, that means both kids would have their story on Monday. But because of life, my kids' stories are not on the same day and not on Mondays. The story takes between 5-10 minutes. My oldest could read the story for himself, but I read the story to both kids. I always do a bit of review and teaching. The answers are in the back of the book, although I think a level or two may have downloadable answers.

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

I have a few friends who used it, but they are all dropping it, saying it’s way too easy and drags on.

I switched from CLE to Math Mammoth this year and it’s been a fantastic switch. There is less busy work and much more thinking required. It’s been great.

The reason I am liking the looks of it is that our current math program is taking so much time that we don't have time to play math games or do other challenge type problems. So I wouldn't be looking at it as the only math they ever did but more like a spine that gives us room and time in it day or other things that are being crowded out right now. Plus I have a 12 year old daughter who just hates math so much and is behind. I started her with LoF and she loves doing the story and then problems so I think the structure of it would work for her. She is actually waking up early to do her math. I want to spend this year doing some of these things and then a standard pre A program, possibly teaching textbooks

I have not used level 6 as of yet but here is a link to the website that has a pdf of the chapters of what is covered in level 6.

See this is the first time I have ever jumped around curriculums. I user the same one for 12-13 years and just kept moving them to the next level. So I don't actually *know* confidently what exactly she would need to know. Especially as a more spiral program like TT would have considerable review. I will sort it out. Thanks!