Menu

Anyone an expert in Chrome?

dirty ethel rackham

When my computer needed a new hard drive, I decided to start using Chrome as my browser.  But, I'm having an issue where every time I close out Chrome, I need to re-sign into everything.  That wouldn't be such an issue, except for gmail.  It requires me to give permission from my phone and to enter a code from my phone onto the computer.  If my phone is ever unavailable, I can't check email nor use my Google drive.  Any ideas on how to keep myself signed in, at least, to Google?  I do a lot of shared documents and I need to check email multiple times a day.  

• Like 1

Cookies are turned on.  I have specific sites that I want to keep and Google is one of those sites.  But, I have to log into every thing over again if I close my browser.  The biggest pain is Google because I have to have my phone handy to give permission in order to check email or work on shared google documents.   

• Like 1

For Security reasons, I do not stay logged into Gmail on my laptops. I log in and then I log out.  I have Gmail for my Primary email account, on my Laptop.  I have Gmail for my Secondary email account, which I can also access via  Gmail.com on the laptop and that account (Secondary Gmail) is on my Android phone for Gmail.  I do not need to log in on my cell phone, but I do need to log in on my laptop, which is the way I want it.

OT: I use Chrome almost exclusively, but occasionally I use Mozilla Firefox. Both are extremely good browsers.

NOTE: I am a little confused about your issue, but I think it may have to do with Secondary confirmation for Security. There   is a word for that, but I can't remember what it is as I write this.  That is much safer.  If I was smarter, I would set up my accounts to do that. But, then I have the concern that if I didn't have my phone with me or it was not working, I would not be able to do the secondary test and I would be unable to login to my accounts. If that is the case, there is probably a setting that you can change to Disable that. One nice thing about Google stuff is that you can Google for help and almost always find the solution to your issue.  So, I share your concern about "what if my phone wasn't working or available?" and "then I would be unable to login". That secondary confirmation makes            online accounts much safer.  

• Like 1

Yep.  It is the 2 step verification that is the real problem.  The re-signing in for most other things is a minor inconvenience.  I am worried that I would be unable to access gmail and unable to work on shared documents without my phone (which is really too small for my old eyes to actually do any work.)  I'll look into that.  

• Like 1

Yep. It is the 2 step verification that is the real problem. The re-signing in for most other things is a minor inconvenience. I am worried that I would be unable to access gmail and unable to work on shared documents without my phone (which is really too small for my old eyes to actually do any work.) I'll look into that.

Ok. I checked. 2 step verification is showing as turned off on both my laptop and my phone. But it is acting like 2 step verification. I know the answer is to turn it on and turn it off again. But then I'll have to remember my password again. I have had to change so many passwords in the last month, I just don't remember them all.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Possible Google for something like "Chrome + 2 Step authorization is turned off, but requires 2 Step authorization" (without the quote marks).  

I use the Free version of the LastPass Password Manager. Others here use other things, but it is good to use a Password Manager.

you probably have the password stored in your chrome so you can go see it. Go to settings/advanced/passwords/manage passwords. You should get a page of logins. find your accounts google entry then click the little 3 dots on the right and select details, then click the little eyeball and it will display the password.....

you probably have the password stored in your chrome so you can go see it. Go to settings/advanced/passwords/manage passwords. You should get a page of logins. find your accounts google entry then click the little 3 dots on the right and select details, then click the little eyeball and it will display the password.....

You guys are lifesavers. I will try these tonight. Off to my carpool duties.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk