Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW 38: September Equinox

Robin M

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mom Ninja :grouphug:

Amy, now that your ds is listening to chapter books (awwww!!!!) he might enjoy the free My Father's Dragon that Kareni has linked. I remember reading it to my Ds and he liked it but I can't remember how old. Free kindle is good! ;)

I finished The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter. It was fun because pretty much every single character was somebody from a famous author's work. I was busy googling and found a short story by Hawthorne that I had never heard of for instance. My advice to Rose and anyone else who reads it is google when in doubt. The rabbit trails were the fun IMO.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34728925-the-strange-case-of-the-alchemist-s-daughter

I sat down to read a couple of chapters of a DE Stevenson that the library pulled out deep storage for me. The next thing I knew Dh was asking if I was ready to go out and I had about 10 pages left. So no, not ready to go! Still Glides the Stream was a bit different than her other books because the main character leaves his home to go in search of what "surprise" his childhood friend had written of before dying in France in WWII. The surprise was a bit predictable but I still loved it! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1404709.Still_Glides_the_Stream

• Like 11

Mom-ninja, :grouphug: :grouphug: .

ETA: Can you look for some local no-kill shelters &/or foster groups that would be willing to take in your cat?

I have. He will stay here until I find him a home. I have asked if they will just list him on their site. I don't want him in a cage in a shelter. The thought makes me cry. He can't go to a foster home with other animals. Besides he does not do well with change. It's best to keep him here.

I'm listening to another Wodehouse trying to lift my mood. Frozen Assets. It is very funny and I am trying to immerse into it.  

• Like 10

I finished HP5 (Order of the Phoenix) last night.

I know it sets up lots of establishing stuff for the final two books. I would say the last 2/3 of the book more than makes up for the over-wordiness of the first third. Overall 4.5 stars (because I still think the first 300 pages could/should have been better written &/or edited).

Kathy's comments about Mrs. Weasley's boggart making her cry.... Oddly, I did not cry at that (though I empathize with Mrs. Weasly 100%). The parts that did make me cry in this book were the group running into Neville visiting his parents at the hospital (that just made me bawl, but I've always had a soft spot for Neville because I've loved him in all of the movies) & near the end when Dumbledore is explaining his actions/admitting his mistakes.

This is definitely the book that makes the jump from juvenile to young adult territory.

Will plan to dip into Frankenstein next, then perhaps some of the variations I've managed to pick up from the library.

I don't dabble much in the Harry Potter fandom, but some have argued Neville is the true classical hero of the series. Harry, by way of Voldemort's actions, is forced to be a hero, but Neville, even when he's doing a difficult thing like confronting his friends, chooses to be a hero.

• Like 9