Menu

duolingo and slang etc

mims

My daughter has been using a duolingo Spanish app and really liking it.  She quit over the summer and started up this fall.  All of a sudden it is putting new words in that she hasn't learned.  Yesterday she got a translation wrong because it said it should be 'chick' not woman.  Does she have a setting wrong, is this common?  She says there have been quite a few more but doesn't remember them.

I know it adapts, even in the review lessons. If the goal is to get to fluency I would say that incorporating usage (not necessarily slang) is an advantage, though frustrating if you are surprised by it. But at least you aren't overwhelmed in the beginning. For example, word order in German is different than English, and Duolingo at first let's you use the word order that is equivalent to the English word order, but later, after you have had a lesson with examples of correct word order, even the review lessons expect correct word order.

Thanks for your comments.  I'm minimal in Spanish and now can't remember the word!  I know it wasn't chica.  I'll have to ask her tomorrow.  Interesting about how it adapts - I'll try to pass that onto her so she know to expect it and not get frustrated.

There is a new partnership between Duo and Pearson (I think) to expand the usage of Duo to college texts. It has been causing bleedover of incorrect stuff into the lessons and comments. (The volunteer moderators are not amused.) I don't know if what your daughter saw (new words not previously introduced) is a side effect or if it is a test (which Duo run all the time and only some accounts see them). We complain about some of the tests, but we (meaning mostly dd) just roll with them.

• Like 1

There is a new partnership between Duo and Pearson (I think) to expand the usage of Duo to college texts. It has been causing bleedover of incorrect stuff into the lessons and comments. (The volunteer moderators are not amused.) I don't know if what your daughter saw (new words not previously introduced) is a side effect or if it is a test (which Duo run all the time and only some accounts see them). We complain about some of the tests, but we (meaning mostly dd) just roll with them.

Wow, that is interesting!  How often do you see this happen?  My daughter is quick to get frustrated with something like this.  How do I go about complaining if this keeps coming up?

Wow, that is interesting!  How often do you see this happen?  My daughter is quick to get frustrated with something like this.  How do I go about complaining if this keeps coming up?

It is brand new, so I don't know. Complaining won't help - since the service is free. I'd just keep on keepin' on. There is a button for flagging things you think are incorrect. Just have her do that when she believes something is really wrong.

• Like 1