Menu

Saxon Math question - dealing with a child who is behind?

frugalmamatx

We've hopped math programs for the past few years. Math is dd's weakest subject - not because she's bad at it, but because she lacks confidence and finds it boring {and getting her to do anything she finds boring is like pulling teeth}. We've switched to Saxon 1st editions and she's in Saxon 54. We'll be sticking with Saxon and making it work as we're both tired of changing programs trying to find a good fit. She's newly 11, so her being in 4th/5th grade isn't terribly behind for her age level. But the rest of her subjects she's placing into late 6th / early 7th, so I'd like to bring her math skills up to closer to that if possible, before we hit the sciences that require math. 

Would you feel comfortable asking for TWO math lessons a day in an attempt to catch her up? Ideally I'm thinking split up - one as first subject and the second as the last subject. 

Mulling this over, trying to think this through with you. If she tested into 5/4 and is tired of changing programs then you've found a baseline and can go from here. I would rather a behind student was really solid on things, especially fractions, rather than pushing to 'catch up'. If she finds it boring, what is the length of time you can ask for each day before it's too much? I'm thinking 60 minutes? I'm not familiar with Saxon, but I would be tempted to skip busy work on topics she seems to be getting (assign only half the problems or w.h.y.), and soldier through more thoroughly on those she doesn't, aiming to spend whatever your allotted time is each day. But you know your kid best. If you think you could ask for a second session, even once or twice a week, I'm sure that would ultimately be to her benefit.

You know, if she doesn't absolutely HATE Saxon, I would just stick with one lesson per day. If you're able to get her to do it without tears, then it's going well and you should not try your luck. Making her do two lessons per day doesn't seem necessary to me.

Saxon is boring and repetitive but it's a great program.  My son used it all the way through and is in first year community college at 15 blowing every other student out of the water, impressing his instructor, solving all the extra problems etc. etc. Yes he hated it for the most part, but his foundation is solid and for that we are extremely thankful.  In fact, he is getting his AA in math and computer Science and then Lord willing transferring.  

Obviously YMMV but my point is that if you can get her to do it, then stick with it and don't worry about moving faster.  She will have a nice solid math foundation that will serve her forever.  Don't mess with it!

• Like 3

If she finds math boring I doubt Saxon will change that dynamic (solid program but really boring IMHO).  Putting that aside for a minute, I would really strongly NOT make my child that isn't wild about math and already a bit behind because of a lack of confidence and boredom do two lessons of repetitive math every day.  Any chance you have of possibly someday getting her more engaged will almost certainly go flying out the window.  Go at a pace she can successfully navigate and keep lessons from being long and tedious.  

Have you tried supplementing with something like Beast Academy?  Math games?  Something from Soror's Relaxed Math thread that has tons of cool ideas for supplementing math with really engaging stuff?

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

I wouldn't double up either, unless she is buzzing through them really fast. That's just a lot of math for anyone, let alone someone who is a little behind. Just do the subject year round, and maybe include a math lesson as the only school on Saturday, and she should catch up within a year or two :)

HOW are you using Saxon?

Are you working the program as prescribed and going over the corrections each day? How is she doing with the lessons? Is she making a 85% or better on each lesson the first time around?

I would change the way that I do math, but I don't think that I would make completing TWO lessons a day my immediate goal, but I would put changes in place to try and get her to point where she can do that, if she so chooses.

Do you sit with her during the lesson to ensure that she understands everything before she begins the problem sets?

Is she focused while working the lesson and the problem set, or is she daydreaming and distracted?

How long does it take her to do a Saxon Math lesson?

What grade is she getting on her first attempt with a math lesson?

What procedure does your family use to make corrections?

How many days does she do math each week?

Does she know all math facts fluently?

Does she understand regrouping?

Instead of increasing the number of lessons she does each day, I would time my child each day to see how long it takes her to work through a lesson. Then I would add 10 minutes extra to her math time on her schedule and instruct her that "by her grade, she should do math for XX minutes each day. Work quickly and just pause in the next lesson when your time finishes." Look at the lessons ahead of time, some lessons are very short and naturally pair up well, so on some days I would have her do two lessons, but only when the lessons are short and connected.

I would also make math a 6-7 day a week subject. She will naturally get ahead by simply working more steadily.

Saxon Math 54 has 136 lessons in the 3rd edition so I suspect 1st edition has some fewer lessons than that. By working 6 days a week, 1 lesson a day, she can complete the whole book in about 20 weeks.

IF Saxon Math works for her, she is steady in her pacing, diligent in her daily work and well supported by teachers then she can finish Math 54, Math 65 and start on Math 76 in the same year with out doubling lessons. Just gradual, systematic and diligent work will get her there.

• Like 1