Menu

Healthy bread?

Night Elf

Ok, I'm a store-bought-white-bread type. For the longest time I've purchased Pepperidge Farm Very Thin bread. I liked the low calories. However, I am trying to revamp my diet to move to more healthy choices. One change is that I really need to change all the white foods I eat. 

So I found a loaf of bread that I thought was good. It's certainly different than what I'm used to. Unfortunately, I hate wheat bread. I've tried numerous brands and they're all just yuck. So now I found a seeds and grain bread, Organic Eureka Seeds the Day. The first ingredient is organic whole wheat flour. Is that what I should have looked for? My concern is it's only 2 grams of fiber per slice. For such dense bread, I expected it to be higher. I like the taste because of all the seeds. I chose the loaf with 8 organic grains and seeds. No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. No high fructose corn syrup. 0g trans fat. Non GMO (not sure what that means). So would you say this is a healthy loaf or should I go back to the drawing board? This is the first wheat bread I've liked. It's at least better than white bread, right?

Unless you're going to make your own bread, a store-bought bread that you like and is better than what you used to buy is a good choice. If you're increasing your veggie intake, you don't need to worry about the fibre content of the bread.

I agree. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

• Like 3

You don't need bread to be a source of fiber; just eat some veggies.

If anything is less than idea, it's the 5 g of added sugar per slice. 

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=AAC18D0C-6AD3-11E2-89F9-1231381A4CEA

Bread does not need to have sugar added.

But it's tons better than the white factory bread you've been eating, so  just eat it.

ETA: Non GMO means no genetically modified organisms.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3