Menu

Curriculum Help Needed (student w/medical & cognitive challenges)

Hi,

It's been a while since I posted anything. I need help trying to figure out good curriculum resources for my 10th grader, with an IEP and ongoing medical procedures.

Right now and last year she was doing Acellus online. Last year was so difficult and she barely got any school done. She was going through a lot of treatment. I was leaning towards the computer school again because it is easy to have with us wherever we are. She has done school at the hospital (three hours from our home) as well as school at the Ronald McDonald House and sometimes at home too. She has a lifting restriction so carrying a bunch of books doesn't work either which makes the computer handy. However, she isn't really learning. I can't follow what she is doing and although she likes the independent piece of it, I just feel it's not moving her forward,

Right now she needs LA, Math, Science and History...

Reading is beyond difficult, it physically makes her head hurt. She needs short, concise lessons to drive home the idea and then practice. Something I can check easily, I am often overwhelmed coordinating the medical and I need something relatively easy to follow. Grammar and spelling are her stronger areas.

She needs things she can do lying down. She spends most of her time in bed. She likes movies, and documentaries but then I have to have something to follow up with those on to see that she retaining what she is watching.

Math she is all over the place, we are going back to basics. Simple things are confusing to her and not making sense. I will probably get a tutor to work with her for math but looking for a simple program to follow. Computer is okay. She was doing around 5th grade last year which a lot was simple but some were harder. Right now she is trying decimals.

She has had brain surgery and she has spinal fluid leaks which make it hard to stand up. Both conditions affect your cognitively and she has also had a TBI. We also know she has a mild neuro-cognitive disorder. She doesn't feel confident is school. Its all very overwhelming to her. I want to find work that she will enjoy that will give her confidence, build her memory and challenge her a bit.

Any ideas?

Science is Earth Science and History is World History

xposted on Learning Challenges board

Edited by fourcatmom

We just enjoy our history and our literature.  If my dd retains it, great.  I'm looking for exposure and interest.  My dd is a reader, but if she weren't, we would do audiobooks or movies.  And frankly, we tend to read easier version of the classic literature when we do read them.  I'm looking for general knowledge of plot and characters.  

We actually do movies for most Shakespeare and the odd random classic that I pick.  This year, we have seen Much Ado about Nothing (with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson) and our next movie will be Wuthering Heights (with Timothy Dalton).  Last year, we saw Romeo and Juliet (with Clare Danes and Leo DiCaprio -- which she liked and understood better than the old version of Romeo and Juliet that I saw in high school).  We read (easy versions of) classics in between this.  I tie in literature to our general history time frame.

We just read history, but if we didn't, I'd use something like Crash Course World History on Youtube.  

Sometimes I make up tests, if I feel inclined.  Or I just assign A for effort.  It's my school.  I can do what I want that meets our needs.  HTH!

• Like 4

I love the idea of read alouds or audiobooks for history and literature. You could use something like Sonlight or just pick your own books. The Apologia science books also have audio cds to go with them or Sonlight has science read alouds, depending on what level you are looking for. Here is a link for a site with lots of free documentaries http://documentaryheaven.com.

Have you looked at Math U See for math? There is a short video lesson followed by some practice. Maybe you could write the problems on a small white board for her?

I'm so sorry to hear your precious dd still is not well.

Check out Power Basics from Walch Publishing. I think they have another line of curriculum, too, but I know PB is made for struggling learners and to be high interest. It's mostly workbook format, which makes it easier to put down and pick up. They aren't big, huge, hardback texts either. 

• Like 1