Menu

Counselor Letter

Rebecca

So, I am working on the Counselor Letter.

The only website I found that provided real help to me was this one: 

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/counselor-letter.php

Does anyone have a Counselor Letter that you would be willing to share with me via Private Message?

Especially if it was for more selective schools?

Alternately, any websites to recommend?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you!!

Rebecca

• Like 1

I have thought of writing one for my son, although it is not necessary for the two schools he is currently applying to and he would be mortified if I mentioned that he is on the spectrum and has overcome a great deal.  (we honestly were concerned that at this point in his life we would be filing for disability, not applying to 4 year colleges for him!)

I am a school counselor, and this may sound really odd, but I have only done a couple of college recommendations.  The two high schools I worked in as a counselor had one or two college dedicated counselors and the rest of us did other jobs......and then for the bulk of my counseling career I have been a speciality counselor (for low performing kids, at risk students, etc...).  And now I am a middle school grade level counselor where most of my job is actual counseling.....emotional/psychological, etc.....not as much academic.

However, having been a counselor for many years, I can say with certainty that many counselors don't know that many of their students.  I just went to my son's counselor (he is a senior) and not only did they SWITCH his counselor this year, but she had no idea who he was, is a brand new (just out of college) counselor, and I don't hold much faith in her ability to write him a recommendation letter that is in any way personal.

I also am looking at CollegeConfidential these days (one in college and one starting next year) and there are MANY people who are lamenting not knowing their counselor AT ALL and who are concerned about this aspect of the college application process.

Given that, I think that you are already ahead of the game there.

Here is a blog for school counselors on how to write a strong letter. I don't know if it will be of any help, but the outline is good:

http://blog.prepscholar.com/for-counselors-how-to-write-a-strong-recommendation-letter-for-your-student

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

I have thought of writing one for my son, although it is not necessary for the two schools he is currently applying to and he would be mortified if I mentioned that he is on the spectrum and has overcome a great deal. (we honestly were concerned that at this point in his life we would be filing for disability, not applying to 4 year colleges for him!)

You may not wish to disclose his disability to admissions, but I would recommend that you disclose it to the disability services office at the college your son chooses. They would be able to support him if he struggles at all with the transition from high school or with classes.

I assume you know this from your school system experience, but just in case: look into whether his diagnosis qualifies for your state's vocational rehab funds. You may qualify for tuition assistance.

• Like 1

I was told by an elite university that they wanted the counselor letter to explain what a 'non traditional' education looked like for your kid. So not a letter in support of your kid like a standard recommendation, but rather what worked, what didn't, how your homeschool worked.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3

You may not wish to disclose his disability to admissions, but I would recommend that you disclose it to the disability services office at the college your son chooses. They would be able to support him if he struggles at all with the transition from high school or with classes.

I assume you know this from your school system experience, but just in case: look into whether his diagnosis qualifies for your state's vocational rehab funds. You may qualify for tuition assistance.

He is going to school in a different state than we are currently so I am not sure if that will affect things.  I have been looking some, but technically he is too  high functioning to receive anything.

At this time, we are all moving so he can live at home, but we will see how things play out.  If we don't move (the move IS job dependent) and he goes to school away from home (we have a Plan B school about 4 hours from here), we will be looking into some sort of added support.

But we are truly praying we can all move.  It would be a move back "home" for us and seems like the right time to pursue it.

Thanks,

Dawn