Menu

Cannot make up my mind about high school science

Help!  I'm really close to burn out and I can't make up my mind what to have my 10th grader do for science.

I don't want to just hand him a book and hope he gets through it.  I'd like it to be interesting for both of us -- not that I'd be doing all of it with him, but I do want to be somewhat involved to help him and hold him accountable.  I've done Apologia with my olders and I. Just. Can't. Do it again.  

I also have a 7th and 8th grader this year and I considered doing the same thing with all of them, but requiring a bit more for the 10th grader.  It seems like all the things that I've looked at for that would require so much work for me to pull them together.  At this point, even a little bit of work feels like too much work.  

What science has your 10th grader done already? What level is he at in math? What are his goals as far as college/career type? Those factors might help narrow down your choices.

He did physical science in 8th and then did astronomy last year with a co-op class.  He'll do chemistry next year.  I know he should do Biology, but everything that I look at for Biology just seems like way too much or way too little.  If I could find a basic, understandable Biology, I think we'd go for it.  

He's strong in math -- finishing Algebra II now and loves it!  I see him doing something with math or engineering.  I'd like to have more time with him this year to focus on communication skills, specifically writing.

Last year I graduated two -- one with learning disabilities and one with chronic illness.  So much work!  I need a manageable year. 

He did physical science in 8th and then did astronomy last year with a co-op class.  He'll do chemistry next year.  I know he should do Biology, but everything that I look at for Biology just seems like way too much or way too little.  If I could find a basic, understandable Biology, I think we'd go for it.  

He's strong in math -- finishing Algebra II now and loves it!  I see him doing something with math or engineering.  I'd like to have more time with him this year to focus on communication skills, specifically writing.

Last year I graduated two -- one with learning disabilities and one with chronic illness.  So much work!  I need a manageable year. 

How about a thorough, on-level high school bio program like Holt? Rainbow Resource sells their homeschool package: "This course, intended for high school students, has transitioned to a format which includes a hard copy student text and an "Interactive Online Edition" which includes interactive editions of both student and teacher editions, worksheets, labs, assessments and various tools and videos." http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/029556

Or the Miller-Levine bio package, available through Kolbe Academy? https://books.kolbe.org/homeschool/biology

For some outside accountability on your own schedule, FundaFunda offers Miller-Levine bio as an asynchronous online class. It was a huge hit with my son last year. You can still enroll through this Monday, 9/4.  https://www.fundafundaacademy.com/product/biology/

Edited by TarynB

You might consider Physics for your STEMie

back in my day, at my HS, the honors math students did this:

9th Grade - I can't remember what I took probably was Physical Science

10th grade NYS Regents Physics  

11th grade NYS Regents Chem

12th grade NYS Regents Bio -  if they had AP Physics I probably would have taken that as well

I really like Late Nite Labs. This program has virtual labs, but it also contains pertinent background information for students to read. It also requires the students to take detailed lab notes, so they can answer questions when they're done. They have to analyze the data and understand what's going on. I only paid $35 for a year of access. My daughter is using it for biology. We use other resources as needed, such as YouTube or a CLEP study guide, but I love the skills and knowledge she is gaining through LNL. Plus, doing labs makes the information more memorable than memorizing info from a textbook.

• Like 1