Menu

Favorite Free Cursive?

Slache

My not so humble opinion? Make a "master Q" you like and tell the offspring this is the one to mimic.

It teaches flexibility.

It teaches the right kind of freedom from stupid rules.

It teaches that readability is more important than adherence to antiquity.

See? It's educational!

I think the Q looks like a two but the French samples are a good option

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/EmilyArjonillo/3-5-handwritingguide

I really, really like this but it's an image file. PDF is here.

My not so humble opinion? Make a "master Q" you like and tell the offspring this is the one to mimic.

It teaches flexibility.

It teaches the right kind of freedom from stupid rules.

It teaches that readability is more important than adherence to antiquity.

See? It's educational!

You got on a soapbox about a Q. :lol:

• Like 1

First, thanks slache for reposting this as a PDF!

I think the Q looks like a two but the French samples are a good option

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/EmilyArjonillo/3-5-handwritingguide

I clearly need to research cursive styles more ... this looks beautiful, and I love the method-based letter groupings!  Out of curiosity, if you used this with your kids, do you think it would be too hard for a 2nd grader?  My kiddo wants to do cursive this year and I might try it out even though it says it is for 3rd-5th graders.

• Like 1

First, thanks slache for reposting this as a PDF!

I clearly need to research cursive styles more ... this looks beautiful, and I love the method-based letter groupings! Out of curiosity, if you used this with your kids, do you think it would be too hard for a 2nd grader? My kiddo wants to do cursive this year and I might try it out even though it says it is for 3rd-5th graders.

I use Spell to Write and Read and they recomend Cursive First which is so similar to the clock climbing letters program suggested above! The main difference is say the "a" in CF starts at the baseline then goes up to the 2 on the clock, then back around, etc, etc. the climbing clock letters program starts at 1 on the clock.

My kids start Cursive in Kinder. I also transition the older kids to CF. I found my kids needed more practice so I used my clock paper for them to practice and to correct their writing on the page. They wrote all over the place even in lined paper.

Here is the fonts of SWR and CF

http://swrtraining.com/shop/penmanship/cursive-first/

I made my own cursive. It cost me $4 total.

I used a dry erase placemat from Walmart (the $4). The kid traced the letters until they felt they could do it well. Then I dictated the letter, and they wrote it. Next, kid worked on their name and other "important" words in cursive (address, fun words to them, etc). Then, I would write a sentence in cursive - kid copied it. I used short sentences with all the letters (pangrams). I found a website that listed lots of short ones. After the child had mastered that, she translated the sentences into cursive using a printed type copy. Finally, I require one assignment in cursive daily to keep it in their mind.

The results: oldest has dysgraphia, but has pretty cursive. middle has weird looking cursive (she has the widest "connection" I've ever seen so words are super long), but prefers it to print. youngest loves cursive, but forgets how to do it often (I expect she has dysgraphia as well) 

Since you want a Q that didn't look like a 2, you could make your own dry-erase master sheet by laminating for the first step. It'd save you the $4 too.